Page 459 of 674 FirstFirst ... 359409449457458459460461469509559 ... LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,590 of 6739

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

The relevance to 2A is that people say if there were no guns there would be no violence. Yet vehicle borne attacks are on a steep rise as a way to injure many soft targets cheaply and easily, here is a timeline that is somewhat dated but illustrates the sharp rise: https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/world...cts/index.html
    That list is just terrorist attacks, this one breaks them out between terrorists and regular crazy people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle-ramming_attack

The UK is currently losing their minds over knives at the moment.

Ill people will do terrible things and generally find a way.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I find it interesting the reactions about the police officer in Toronto who refused to shoot the suspect in the truck massacre.

I watch TYT on youtube frequently (I don't always agree with them but most of the time I agree with the main host Cenk Ungyr). He was praising the police officer for not shooting the suspect.

Now, it's interesting because it appears on the video someone captured that the suspect kept reaching around but only had a cell phone in his hand (?). Cenk was saying how he thinks if it was in the U.S. he'd be shot 10 times by then.....but in that specific situation, I don't see why that's a bad thing.

YES, police often shoot suspects during VERY questionable circumstances, but this was TOTALLY not one of them. I just think the praise from that and other places is a bit too much.

Somebody ransacked my car overnight. Can't believe I forgot to lock the doors yesterday evening. He emptied out the glove compartment and center console and left a huge mess. Didn't take anything. There was nothing of value in there to take, aside from a pair of Apple Earpods. Don't know why he left that.

Luckily, my neighbor has a security camera whose coverage extends to my half of the driveway, (semi-detached house, shared driveway), so she's going to go through the footage on her computer and give me a copy which I'll take to the police. Believe it or not, the exact same thing happened to her husband last summer. One evening he forgot to lock his car doors and a guy came around at 4am and sat in his car, rifling through his stuff. I saw that video, and think this is probably the same guy. Probably goes driveway to driveway looking for unlocked cars to rob.

Fucking ass. I hope he was disappointed.

If he (or she) just made a mess that's good. They could easily do hundreds in glass damage for a few quarters (or looneys, for you ... quacks)

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    yeah, back in the early 90's my family's house was robbed...in daylight.

They were very meticulous, only took specific things of value...my game consoles, mom's jewelry....left our PC where it was, didn't even bother taking that (Thankfully!) and generally didn't make a mess at all. So it was like they were polite robbers, lol

Our house got robbed on my wedding night in 1999. I was still living with my parents back then.

The thieves knew exactly what to take and where to find it. All of the cash gifts received from the morning ceremony were stolen. I remember how greedy I was acting at lunch. Playing cavalierly with $100 notes and laughing hardy, before stuffing them into my dresser drawer. All gone. Hubris bit me hard in the ass. They even took my wife’s new jewelry, which upset her quite a bit. They also ransacked my parents bedroom and took some cash from suitcases. They were clearly professionals and knew exactly what they were doing.

This all happened in the evening during the reception. We watch the tape of our reception every now and then, and joke about how we were getting robbed while jumping around and having a good time. We’re long over it. At least we still had the evening gifts. I’m thinking it had to be an inside job. Friends of family. We’ll never know.

All of my cousins who got married in the years following paid special attention to the possibility of getting robbed on wedding night, and all took measures to prevent it. We made the mistake of not giving it serious thought. The prudent idea would be to either hire security to watch the house, or take all morning cash gifts and jewelry with you to the reception. These days people are having the ceremony and reception on separate days, so they have time to go to the bank to lock up their goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Our house got robbed on my wedding night in 1999. I was still living with my parents back then.

The thieves knew exactly what to take and where to find it. All of the cash gifts received from the morning ceremony were stolen. I remember how greedy I was acting at lunch. Playing cavalierly with $100 notes and laughing hardy, before stuffing them into my dresser drawer. All gone. Hubris bit me hard in the ass. They even took my wife’s new jewelry, which upset her quite a bit. They also ransacked my parents bedroom and took some cash from suitcases. They were clearly professionals and knew exactly what they were doing.

This all happened in the evening during the reception. We watch the tape of our reception every now and then, and joke about how we were getting robbed while jumping around and having a good time. We’re long over it. At least we still had the evening gifts. I’m thinking it had to be an inside job. Friends of family. We’ll never know.

All of my cousins who got married in the years following paid special attention to the possibility of getting robbed on wedding night, and all took measures to prevent it. We made the mistake of not giving it serious thought. The prudent idea would be to either hire security to watch the house, or take all morning cash gifts and jewelry with you to the reception. These days people are having the ceremony and reception on separate days, so they have time to go to the bank to lock up their goodies.
    Was it announced locally? It was likely a friend, acquaintance or work colleague of someone who was there. Someone being a bit loud prior and announcing where it would be and that 'everyone would be there'. These things are rarely purely by chance.

No it wasn’t announced locally. I agree it was probably done by somebody close. We had a few ideas back then, but impossible to prove. Haven’t thought about it much since then. It’s been almost two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    yeah, back in the early 90's my family's house was robbed...in daylight.

They were very meticulous, only took specific things of value...my game consoles, mom's jewelry....left our PC where it was, didn't even bother taking that (Thankfully!) and generally didn't make a mess at all. So it was like they were polite robbers, lol
    That's pretty typical, apart from the lack of mess. Burglars in the US don't want to encounter residents who might call the police. Or shoot said burglars. The most common things taken are small electronics, watches, and jewelry that are easily carried away and later sold.

My next door neighbors got daylight robbed - Pretty sure it was an inside deal. They pulled a truck up to the back porch on a Sunday afternoon, and apparently went straight for the guitars and guns. I sort of saw them, but didn't think anything of it because it was super brazen.
    -Formerly Stabulator