Page 512 of 675 FirstFirst ... 12412462502510511512513514522562612 ... LastLast
Results 5,111 to 5,120 of 6747

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Cam, I’m not a fossil fuel lobbyist, just saying that if somehow we humans are also causing significant harm/decline of phytoplankton population, major converter of earths CO2 to O2, then we will be screwed no matter how much CO2 we cut.

I find it hard to believe us generating more CO2 is causing their decline. We must be polluting the oceans in other ways.

When someone who really knows their stuff tells you what’s up and you still refuse to acknowldge it, what more can I say?

We are most certainly poisoning the oceans in additional ways; agriculture and resource extraction runoff, garbage/waste...

Anthropogenic climate change is caused by fossil fuel burning. Seriously. Scientsts that specifically study climate say so. Smart people. Smarter and more educated than us. It is their job to study climate. It’s what they do. It’s all they do. They know their shit. It’s their first love, much to their spouse’s chagrin. There is no debate in the scientific community. There is an agreement that an increase in greenhouse gasses released by modern human activity are causing climate change. Really.

I'm not denying you and your wife's claim dude. Considering how many cars and factories and powerplants we have now compared to just a few decades ago, surely we are producing helluva lot more CO2 than ever before.

Again, not denying this reality. I'm not a climate change denier.

I just think there are most likely multiple solutions. And don't pull this crap the church pulls on the rest of the population... that there's only one way to be saved. Do it the Jesus way or the highway. Com'on, why should I believe that?

Earth's climate is a complex system. I'm sure your wife knows what she's doing, but I'm willing to bet scientists don't all have consensus either.

Anyway, I just don't believe we can afford to wait until the whole world reach agreement in order to do something. Each nation can't even make up their minds yet let alone wait for the whole world to come to an agreement on this.

At the very minimum, let's each try to pollute our planet a little less in our own ways NOW!

The only scientists that do not agree with the concensus that fossil fuels are the problem get research funding from oil and gas companies.

Soooo, you would win that bet, I guess.

Jason, sorry to hear about your lady. My mother-in-law battled cancer recently. 5-6 years ago, she had major cancer in her abdomen. She got treatment and is a survivor, beating the odds. There is hope!

I think you're missing what Billi is actually saying, Cam.
    He seems to be working somewhere along the line of: "Sure, this guy stabbed his wife to death, but somebody broke into my car last week. Why bother arresting him when there's still crime out there?"
    -Formerly Stabulator

Burning Fossil fuel= primary CO2 producer and O2 killer

Phytoplankton=primary O2 producer and CO2 killer

Cam, what is your wife’s view of phytoplankton? Are they declining or not? If so, why?

My view is that there are at least 2 ways to fix our problem. However, I'm not a climate scientist nor marine biologist, not even sure what's the best way to go the phytoplankton route without further upsetting the balance. For example, ingredients needed for phytoplanktons are water, light, CO2 and nutrients. All we need to provide are proper nutrients and ensure no pollutants... however, even if we could raise sufficient phytoplankton levels to offset fossil fuel emissions, they will dramatically deplete oxygen in the ocean, which might harm other marine lifeforms.

Cutting down CO2 is certainly the right step and perhaps the inevitable thing to do. I hope you understand that I'm not arguing against that.

Using Josh's analogy, I think he's pretty close, except we need to add a bit of political context. Say that I'm black... and my wife or son was shot dead by a cop and I'm unable to get justice out of that because of fucking racists. Now my car is broken into. Okay, so now I don't feel like reporting that to the stupid police because they're racists, but I should still report it to my insurance company and get my car fixed, right? I shouldn't just allow other parts of my life to fall apart just because of some fucking racists are in the way? Likewise, we don't have to to wait for the climate deniers to come to agreement to do something. Find the least resistance thing to do 1st as 1st aid to our climate... hopefully in time, attitudes will change.

I'm assuming you never saw the climate discussion in the political thread, but FYI, I have solar on my roof and driving an EV. I hope that is sufficient to help you see that I'm not a fossil fuel lobbyist. You don't need to fight me about climate change. I'm fighting climate change in my own ways.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 1st, 2019 at 09:10 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Spoke too soon. She needs more chemo and more surgery. Sigh.
    Sorry to hear about it, man.

Cancer treatment is a long battle, and when doctors recomend surgery, IME, it's because they think it's the best course of action, long term. Hold on, buddy.
    acket.

Yeah, they just didn't communicate with us very clearly, so we were surprised. The second round of chemo (we might do a clinical trial with immunotherapy also, we'll see) is supposed to be "easier" than the stuff she was originally on, but is still going to come with side effects, and she tends to be sensitive to those. Surgery is because they didn't get enough healthy tissue when they removed it, so they might need to go back in and scrape more out, finding out more today. Either way, the odds are still in her favor for a good outcome of all this, but she tends to have bad luck so we're doing anything we can to minimize said bad news odds.