Page 552 of 675 FirstFirst ... 52452502542550551552553554562602652 ... LastLast
Results 5,511 to 5,520 of 6747

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

I've done that before (sanded through a fingernail) that hurts like hell after a few minutes.
    -Formerly Stabulator

I do not normally wear gloves while operating power tools. They can be a safety hazard in many instances. In this case, it would not be too dangerous and would have prevented the damage. I have to do more of the same work, so I will wear gloves for the rest of it.

I did not plan on showing photos.

I cringed at the thought of sanded thru finger nail already..., if I visually see it, I’d probably faint! So thanks for no planing to post pics.

Ouch!

I tore off a toenail once from my largest toe and it was not fun. Couldn't wear a shoe on that foot for a while. I remember going to work with one shoe on my good foot and several socks on the other, on top of bandages. Hopped around on one foot most of the time for a few days. Would have used crutches if I'd had some. It was not a pleasant experience. Fortunately it healed completely.

I hope yours does at well.

Rotational objects and gloves, rings, long hair, watches, etc are a big no go.

The risk of a degloving, amputation, or any other number of injuries are massively higher danger than a bare spot of skin for a few days and a bit of pain.

Injury mitigation is a tough thing. Sanding off the nail is a low damage risk versus the alternative.

I'm sorry to hear about the injury, but it should heal without too much issues.

About ten years ago, a student at Yale died when her hair got caught in a lathe.

Perhaps something like those rubber fingertips people who deal with paper all day use could be a slight help. I'm sure they'd have to be made of something slightly stronger to actually protect though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    About ten years ago, a student at Yale died when her hair got caught in a lathe.
    Wow, the story made the NYT.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I heard a story of a woman in a factory somewhere getting her hair caught in the belt/pulley of an industrial air compressor. Sad way to go.

Hair is a liability. That is why I have none.