Page 555 of 672 FirstFirst ... 55455505545553554555556557565605655 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,550 of 6712

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

I too was confused for a bit at the headlines.

It's headline news because of all of the LGBTQ+ who aren't in hollywood have someone to look up to for "normalcy to them"

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    It would be disrespectful to refer to him as his former name and gender.

What I have a problem with is why is this headline news?

The sad part is that he will probably never get acting work again, unless it is for the Wachowskis.
    I wonder if the artist formerly known as prince found it disrespectful if we refer to him as just prince...

If you are a famous person and had a famous name, you really shouldn’t be so offended by your already famous name. I can understand if friends and family continue to dismiss ‘Elliot’ as being hurtful, but that really shouldn’t be applicable to readers of news articles. Woke journalism indeed. I think it’s disrespectful to assume everyone should be woke.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 2nd, 2020 at 08:13 AM.

I'm constantly offended by your inane drivel about how others should just accept the "way it's always been" without the understanding of making this a better place....

Yet here we are

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    It would be disrespectful to refer to him as his former name and gender.

What I have a problem with is why is this headline news?

The sad part is that he will probably never get acting work again, unless it is for the Wachowskis.
    To be fair, it was a big deal when Page came out as gay a few years back, and many assumed they wouldn't get work afterwards. That has proven to not be true, and they've been in plenty of work since then. I'm sure they'll do fine after this announcement. Either way, it's great news for the trans community to have representation among the "stars".

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    If you are a famous person and had a famous name, you really shouldn’t be so offended by your already famous name. I can understand if friends and family continue to dismiss ‘Elliot’ as being hurtful, but that really shouldn’t be applicable to readers of news articles. Woke journalism indeed. I think it’s disrespectful to assume everyone should be woke.
    The point of him doing this, and journalists following his preferences, is to provide an example and ideally make the broader public more accepting of peoples' transitioning and to make the public understand/aware of 'best practices' when dealing with trans people.

In the future I think it would be a great exercize for you to try substututing the words "polite" or "respectful" into your thoughts/posts whenever you want to use "woke" or "politically correct". That is roughly how most people who use those terms in good faith intend them.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Yes. And I don’t meant to be impolite or disrespectful, but you guys don’t really feel that sometimes things have become so overly polite and respectful that it comes off as confusing and disingenuous?

And if others don’t go along with such overly polite and respectful way of speech, then something is clearly wrong with them?

If my own daughter decided to switch gender later on in her life, do I really have to just pretend that my daughter never existed in order to be respectful and polite? Burn all her childhood pic so that he doesn’t have to be reminded that he was a she?

I will love my ‘kid’ no matter what, but he/she cannot force me to pretend that I never had a daughter. That’s not being impolite or disrespectful, that’s just how I feel.

It’d certainly be disrespectful and impolite if I were to continuously harass my daughter or ignore him until he switches back... but that’s definitely not what anyone here is proposing.

People/fans are rightfully confused without any homo or transphobic attitudes with this kind of journalism.

So what? Can’t talk about it? If you’re confused, That’s your own problem? Or you must be some kind of phobe or ist...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 2nd, 2020 at 02:11 PM.

Its not that confusing, unless you're an idiot and expected to know everything from the headline - most of the articles I saw started with something like "... best know for their Juno Oscar nomination and the netflix series Umbrella Academy." That probably covers about 85% of the people who would know his old name anyway. Like anything else, read beyond the headline, and your 5 seconds of confusion goes away.
    If your daughter were to transition, the polite thing to do when referencing their pre-transition life is to use their preferred name and pronouns.
    What you might not understand is that by the point that most people transition or do an announcement like this, they have felt they've been misgendered for years/decades/their entire life - It's not "Welp, today I decided I'm a guy." It's "Oh jesus, not another day of being called a girl."
    -Formerly Stabulator

See, there your kind goes again. If you’re confused by this, you must be an idiot.

Wow, that was certainly very respectful and polite!

Make everything about YOU and who cares if other idiots are confused. Okay. I understand now.

I hope you understand the perspectives of the idiots. Ideally, be more respectful and polite to them if you can. Idiots are people too. Maybe some of these idiots were misidentified with average intelligence and still unaware of the fact that they’re idiots... so be kind please. Thank you.

Or perhaps it’s okay to be idiotphobic?

How about you go headbutt a wall...

The only reason you continue to make light of this is for the sole purpose of de-legitimizing the trans community. Your attitude towards it is repulsive.

Show some fucking empathy for once.

This did not start because anyone here wishes to de-legitimize anyone else.

Headlines were written in a way that even confused you a bit.

You were even a little bit idiotic because supposedly non-idiots would never be confused.

Our topic of discussion was is this ‘woke journalism’ or perhaps there are just a lot of idiots like you and me?

MR2 never talked about Billi, you don’t have to make everything about Billi.

You admitted that you were a bit confused by the headline. Why? Did the journalists do it perfectly right just that you were a bit idiotic? Or perhaps, just perhaps there could possibly be a better way to deliver this kind of news without hurting anyone’s feelings?

If that was indeed the only way to deliver such news, then we can safely conclude that I’m very idiotic and you’re just a bit idiotic.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 3rd, 2020 at 09:35 PM.