Page 563 of 675 FirstFirst ... 63463513553561562563564565573613663 ... LastLast
Results 5,621 to 5,630 of 6747

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Language usage doesn't just form in a day, so I think it's kinda pointless to try to correct it over night.

Every word exists for a reason, I'm not sure if we need to selectively choose some words to be shelved and never be used again because they're offensive. Even if a word that doesn't have this original offensive meaning... stupid people can continue to imply such meaning on a word... thus we need to strike out one more word out of our dictionary?

Key is to treat each other with proper respect. A racist can say the most politically correct words and still be vile. Anyway, just give people the benefit of the doubt that they don't mean it as offensively as you think... in the end, if you did find out that the SOB is really vile, then just stay the hell away from that person.

I really think people today are too easily offended or hurt. Everybody hurts. Best coping strategy is probably learn to how to protect yourself rather than expect others to change so that they meet your standard of excellence. Considering how fucked up this world is, such expectation is just unrealistic.

I want people to be able to treat each other nicely, but I really don't want to continue to path of deleting words from the dictionary just because a group of folks felt offended by those words.

We could perhaps nitpick about our speech to be less offensive once we're all done with equal rights, equal pay... living wages, ending police brutality, ending racism, fixed climate, etc...

Point is I don't believe politically correct language will solve racism or any other form of discrimination. That requires a change of heart, not just language. And if even Jesus cannot change everyone's heart just like that, what makes you think you could change the world that way? Best way forward is to demonstrate to others how it should be done with your own life.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 6th, 2021 at 09:21 AM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    oh crap I agree with Billi

I can't fault the author of that article. She's expressing her opinion. I could write a similar piece about people using the language in ways that bother me: making up words, using verbs as nouns and nouns as verbs, repeating ridiculous business jargon, not using Oxford commas, and many other issues problems.

I confess I've never thought there was anything wrong with saying "I did a dumb thing" or "that's a crazy idea." Words can have multiple meanings.

Yes, I see how I just contradicted myself.

However, I'm right and they're idiots.

I wonder what the author of that article would think of the name Crazed_Insanity.

On the flip side, words can certainly cut and hurt people just like any other weapon. So I can totally understand why some people feel the need to have some "word control" in place...

However, I just don't believe the root of the problem can be solved by enforcing stricter rules on language usage.

It's one thing for us to try to educate and stop bullying, but we also need to step up and teach our children how to defend and protect themselves against bullies, instead of just cry and run to mama or think they should kill themselves because the bully told them to...

Think of it this way, we could raise our children in a clean room free from allergen and germs and harsh words... they are apparently safer in such environment, but it doesn't do any good for their immune system. Once they leave that clean room, they'd die.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 6th, 2021 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I wonder what the author of that article would think of the name Crazed_Insanity.
    After being born again, I've decided to change my user name. Christianity just sounds too boring, so Crazed_insanity it is... I hope my name didn't offend the author of that article nor did I intend to offend anyone else. Just Billi being silli.

Yesterday my last stop was in a town called Toto. It consists of about ten houses and five businesses that sell discount merchandise. I used the customer's bathroom and when I went to wash my hands, black sludge shot out of the faucet and all over my hands. It smelled like sulfur. Considering that the business had been closed since the first of the year I guess that might explain the sludge in the water line. Definitely weird.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I fucking hate lazy editors.

Be it news editors or editors-in-chief or writing supervisors for TV shows or what have you. Specifically about old world technology.

Dude, yes the Aristotelian worldview, yes empirical evidence, yes, yes, yes, I get it. But did you ever consider that there were really smart people who were also very creative?

Yes, Newton was a genius, but maybe there could have been more to his output had he not held such a firm christian view of humanity. Maybe his religiousness was a hindrance to his creativity.

And maybe smart people with other faiths or other intensities in their relationship with god could come up with different interpretations of the universe, right?

Right?

So why the fuck do you lazy fuckers have to present the idea that the far-out, difficult-to-understand technologies of the Mediterranean, American, African, Celtic civilizations are of "alien origin"?

Fuck you, you intellectually lazy fucks. Fuck you, you conspiracy promoting fucks.

Every time you say that the Teotihuacan society received their acoustics knowledge from a spaceship, every time you post an article insinuating that the Antikythera face-dial is "out of this world" you are doing a disservice to tolerance, to the promotion of higher human values like the presence of inspiration, intelligence and collective learning in "primitive" peoples.

Fuck you!
    acket.

I happen to think aliens are responsible for Florida people, too.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    yeah, but i see you as an editor of Law Review. And in that case, mentions of "acts of aliens" can hold some truth.
    acket.