Page 207 of 224 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 2233

Thread: iRacing

So, I was away for about 5 days in Sicily (my best mate turned 50 and so I hopped on a plane and went for a surprise) and my iRacing team decided to try do the 24H of Daytona... just the day before. Oof.

Average team experience was on the VRS endurance races (3h) and ACC short enduros, but none had done a really long endurance race before.
    And yet we decided to go for it.
    8 people in the team: I was out because of vacation, another guy was already racing with another team and yet another one was willing to set the car for us, but was busy for the weekend so could not race; so we had 6 people driving and yet other 3 joined us from other teams or were just new people in our team.
    We decided to go with GT3s because of too less experience on the LMP2 and the new BMW LMDh.
    And being 9 we had plenty of people in the team to ensure all the stints were covered - way too many people LOL.

As I said I was in vacation but I stayed in contact with the team in vocal through Discord (and Whatsapp too), watching live both the driver feed both a secondary one from a guy that almost stayed the whole 24 hours awake to spot for everyone and race as well.
    I dunno why but everyone hated the Mercedes AMG 2020 because it was tail happy... probably setup, I use the car in VRS Sprint and I find it predictable and easy to manage, albeit heavy on the front and not very nimble.
    Other disappointing matter (although it made it easier for us) was we ended up in a weird GT3-only split - we could have used the experience with multiclass for the future.

I followed the live, then I went out with my friends, came back home during the night and stayed up till 3 am helping with fuel calculations and traffic management, while supporting the drivers and calculating stints.
    I slept, wake up early in the morning and so on.

We started the race at the 1pm slot in P17, our team leader's connection went before the end of the first stint, so we reconnected, and changed driver while being dropped down P36. Damn.
    At about 4pm we were up to P31, so already gained 5 positions in three hours.

Eventually we gained position after position during the night to be at P19 at 10pm, 4 laps down the leader.
    Our team leader could not race anymore: his pc was acting up and crashing, so we were down a driver, the night guys did an outstanding job with double stints to cover for him.
    Few runs out in the grass but everyone held up.

Early morning hours saw us in 14th position, then we gained more... and we closed the race P10 out of 49, catching the position in the last stint.
    Unexpected result, but we got till the end, our motto was "we are in it for the fun, the important thing is to bring her home".
    I think 10 cars out of 49 did not make it till the end... we gained a spot in the last 3 or 4 hours when car P3, a BMW M4, destroyed one of their sides and limped to the pit with the right front wheel totally missing.

It was a blast, even for me that could not race since my rig was 1200km away, pretty emotional to be collaborating with people trying to bring it to the end.
    So, we are in to try other endurances, surely on GT3, we will see about other cars.
    Meanwhile since I'm always the one scouting the forums, reading the rules... well, I've been asked by the team leader to take the role of Special Events manager... LOL

Next up is quite soon, the 12 Hours of Bathurst in the first half of February, I'm already scared to think about it

(The yellow car was the first livery we were supposed to use, then we switched to our usual black and gold livery, just few hours before the race start)

Last edited by Blerpa; January 24th, 2023 at 08:57 AM.

Cool, man. Great job!

When there are not an equal amount of drivers (in this case, teams) in each class, the lower splits will be missing classes. In your team's case, there were more GT3 cars than anything else and your team's iRating was low enough to be in a GT3 only split. It has happened to me.

Yeah, I thought that too.
    I'm still amazed you collected almost no INC at all, man.
    You are a consistency beast!

Porsche Cup on Tuesday night was... challenging. First, I did a fixed race. Got caught up in a wreck I could not avoid and completely destroyed my car. DNF. Did the next Open race. Got punted and spun on lap one, then got caught in another wreck I could not avoid. Still finished OK, but lost a chunk of SR. Did the next Fixed race and it was very enjoyable. I finished 2nd after a good fight with another driver. Wednesday, I did the KGT race. It was fun and I finished well. I saw another KGT race going official earlier today. It was fun and I won the class, GTO. Later, I won a Beetle Lite race. I had a good finish in Supercars tonight also. My racing has been up and down lately, but feeling good about it for now. I will be away next week, however.

Junior Potato
    I haven't been able to race. It's too damn hot!

Old Atlanta in NASCAR B-class this week is my friggin cup of tea (cars are difficult, saving tyres is KEY, track has lots of character) but with 90% humidity and pushing up to 30C it's not a good time to be racing anything with any intensity.

As I type this the police chopper has been doing laps for the last 90 minutes looking for a 78-y-o lady from my neighbourhood who went missing after midday. It is now 22:00 and I have little hope they will find her in good condition. I doubt the thermal camera will see her very clearly. That's how hot it is.

So, we are doing this... so far, 4th out of 48!

Junior Potato
    Hell yeah Blerps!

Great!

After the 24 Hours of Daytona we were supposed to do a more coordinated effort for the next Special Event.
    Any plan went to shite. Obviously.

So in the end we were on a team of 6 (instead of two teams of 4), with a car half the drivers knew while others had trained on the Ferrari (having people that races with us and also another team made communication confusionary), few people had trouble with other engagements and 3 hours already in the race we discovered one of our racers was ill with high fever. We were ready to retire and cry over the lost points. But we fixed it.

So, we started in 10th position, our fastest guy double stinting and pulling us up to 2nd position.
    I jumped in the car, was terribly slower than my teammates and proceeded to drop all the way to 16th place: first 4 laps I was rigid and anxiety was eating me alive.
    The mood was: go as slow as hell but *DO NOT* bin it in the wall.

An hasty Ferrari bumped me in my rear in the esses, I did not lose it but the spotter kept saying I had a "misalignment on the rear suspensions" - car felt progressively worse under braking, till I pitted earlier and we switched drivers: to our disbelief no damage was on the car and no repair of any sort was needed.
    This message would come back other times during the race but would not bring up damage: we gathered it could be some bug in the new damage model.
    Yet I carried only 2 INC so it was fine, if not too short and only single stint (with me driving we would have not been capable to get on the top 10 or top 5).

Mate after me got it up to 8th place double stinting, but we got a 40 second penalty because on his first pit he activated the pit limiter too late (I will never understand why oh why thinking that turning on the limiter at the very last second would matter much in few seconds saved on a 12 or 24 hour race).
    The "fever" guy double stinted as well and we went up to 4th place with about 4 hours to go.

It was the time of our youngest driver.
    Well, me and the guy after me were on Discord and coordinating since 4 in the afternoon, spotting ahead and behind.
    We repeated lap after lap to the young guy to keep the pace with no need to start hotlapping as in 4th place we were on par with the 3rd position car and the three cars behind were laps further, the car in first was two laps ahead but they had an accident 10 laps before too.
    Well, at almost the end of his second stint, while we repeatedly told him that track temps were high and tyres were dropping so to slow down... he stuffed it bouncing right and left at the walls at Forrest's Elbow.

He limped to the pits with 3.9 laps to go to his final stint - UGH.
    7 minutes required repairs plus 9 optional ones.

So it was early in the morning (we had chosen the 5pm slot - italian time) and I had to calm everybody: the 40 something guy (a logorroic bipolar fellow, nostalgic of the Nascar 2003 heydays) that started the race with me was shouting at the youngster (a self deprecating 20-something always being a clown and reacting to many problems with "oh, who cares, I do suck" attitude) and I was in Discord with them at like 2:40am.
    Thankfully the fever guy was already asleep as well as our fastest guy.
    Meanwhile our team leader got back from sleeping (he had work and other real life commitments so we had agreed he would double stint the end of the race in the early morning) and found this mess.

Young guy disconnected, nostalgic dude carried on an interim stint, but car was really bad to drive, so when him and our team leader switched the seat we were down in 10th.
    So it was me and them.
    At 3.30 am I fell asleep sit inside the rig (thankfully I was not driving, and not a real car! LOL) so I apologized but told the guys I could not be able to follow anymore, I was truly sorry but I was so sleepy I could not speak aside from mumbling.

They did repair a bit each stint but slowing down our leader managed to recover about 4 laps of fuel and avoid a final splash and go... to end the race in 7th!

Without the speeding in the pits penalty we could have arrived 6th.
    Without the youngster binning it at Forrest's Elbow we could have possibly snatched 3rd from the team ahead of us.
    Nostalgia guy was all enthusiastic (before the big shunt) and boasting about being in contention for the final victory, while I preached patience, calm and a reasonable podium target - so we passed from too much enthusiasm to despair less than 3 hours to go.

It was fun, it was nervewrecking (I've already told them I refuse to do the 24 Hour of the Nurburgring - fuck that), tiresome and also a bit alienating to be around people, trying to keep data info flowing each lap while people would ramble over iRacing, ACC, or Rennsport, or old sims, what sushi had the youngster eaten at dinner out before his stints, road car crap or the time European Union switched to euro... I mean, it truly was 12 hours all time connected with these people - it was... enduring, indeed?
    A bit too much and a bit too much wandering about everything and anything for my tastes (I prefer a more focused approach - our fastest guy was short on words for example, fever guy was doing what he could while being sick so not much on blabbering).

This morning youngster guy apologized in our whatsapp group chat, but it is fine, everyone does mistakes, it's all experience (it is our second ever big endurance after Daytona), nostalgia dude said we win and lose as a group, so it is fine... but next time I will require everything to be decided by a week at least before the race, this kind of mess is truly unacceptable.
    Last edited by Blerpa; February 12th, 2023 at 02:08 PM.

Junior Potato
    Helluva story there Blerpa. Good final result though.

A good example of how to run a team is found in the group that Cam races with. They get 90% of their stuff worked out at least two weeks from the event.

I took a leaf from their book and created a spreadsheet template to organise everything. Putting all the relevant info on one page is so helpful, and share it via Google Sheets so that each member can refer to it if need be.