Page 107 of 225 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 2246

Thread: iRacing

Sweet dude! Way to go!

My bro and I finished 5th in class today at the Spa 6 hour. We started 38th overall and finished 16th. We were 18th in class or something at the start. We just kept it clean and consistent for the most part. More importantly, we did not damage the car. We got spun in the chicane early on, but no damage or even a 0x. I pushed hard in my first stint, but saved fuel on the second two. Tim saved a bit of fuel during his third stint, allowing me enough leeway to finish the last hour without a splash and dash. Things went really well.

Junior Potato
    Nice job! Hopefully my tip about fuel usage was beneficial to you.

I did see a few cars in our split suddenly realising that fuel use would be a factor. The overall leader slowed quite considerably on one lap mid-race before pitting, but I cannot speculate as to why. Perhaps they simply forgot to pit, which is one way to go about extending the pit window.

I took the car for stint #5 for my second stint and was following the Corvette that we had been chasing. It started on pole but was in 4th place, and I figured it was wise about the fuel stops and was just driving 1 second slower per lap to fuel save. I wasn't confident about my speed so chose to sit on his rear bumper until he made a mistake. 5 laps later off he went, and after that he dropped off quite quickly and never regained track position. In that time following the 'Vette I'd managed to save quite a lot, even though we were both catching the car in 3rd. I passed the 3rd placed Ferrari after it got a bad pass from an LMP2 up out of Eau Rouge and I took advantage.

I handed over to our closing driver who made the on-track pass to get the Ferrari again, then kept the car on pace to stay on the podium. The 2nd placed Porsche flipped it into the weeds four laps from the end! I think we had 0.2 laps of fuel left when he crossed the line.

Yeah, thanks for the fuel advice, Mick. We obviously saved enough to not have to splash-and-dash. Tim came out for this last stint with just about two hours left on the clock. The fifth place car was holding the gap at about 5 seconds for half of Tim's stint, who was short-shifting. Then, the fifth place car's pace noticeably slowed, especially on Kemmel. This tells me they dialed back their engine map. Tim made the pass and pulled a small gap before pitting. I got in the car, with the them right on my rear bumper leaving the pits, with exactly one hour remaining. I was short-shifting and lifting early, but still slowly pulled away from them. Fourth was miles ahead, so I just brought the car home with barely enough fuel for a cool-down lap. It was a good race.

I checked out the profiles of the lead three teams' drivers to make sure there was no funny business, because they were so much faster. Not enough evidence to make me suspicious. However, one of the drivers did six straight Euro Sprint (one hour every two hours) races on Friday. Well, I guess they had lots of practice.

Watch me DO WORK to bring the car from 18th to 3rd in the first half of the VRS GT Enduro. Unfortunately, Tim had some trouble once he got in the car. We finished 33rd.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH40vn1fsT8

Junior Potato
    Dude you were flying compared to that field. Holy bejeebuzz.

Unless you are really good at saving fuel, you have to do three stops in the GT Enduro series. Tim came up with our strategy after some trial and error. (We failed at fuel savings.) Start the race with a little more than half-a-tank of fuel. That way, we can be a bit faster at the beginning of the race. Then, take a full tank and no tires about 1/2 hour in. The other driver gets in the car at the half-way mark, taking tires and a little more than half-a-tank of fuel. Final stop is for a full tank and no tires with about 50 minutes to go. This strategy has worked quite well for us. I am surprised that I have not noticed any other team doing it. It is simple and effective. Most teams take three full tanks, then take a splash-n-dash at the end. It gives us slightly more time driving with a lighter fuel load.

WTF is with oval drivers not stepping on the gas when the green flag drops? I just did two oval races in a row where other drivers ahead of me did not accelerate when the green lights came on. I got a black flagged for passing on the inside. I understand that I am not supposed to pass cars before the S/F line, but there is something wrong when a car is pacing and just stays the pace speed when the green flag drops after a caution.

Got my first oval pole position. Got wrecked out of the lead.