Page 94 of 225 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

Junior Potato
    We've all been there. I had a GT3 that was hard to pass yesterday in that race. They must have a combo of excellent knowledge of the track, heaps of confidence, and a good setup, that we mere mortals do not possess.

Now, I've just done a 1hr Monza race. Literally my first race on the track in iRacing. I did a praccy sesh, cobbled together a setup, and turned myself loose on the track. I started 10th and finished 8th. I would have been 6th, but I was on fumes for the last two laps and cruised around giving up those two places. My fastest lap time was a 1:45.779. I gained plenty of IR but lost 4 SR because I had one OT exiting Lesmo 2 and had to cut the turn 1 chicane on lap 2 to avoid a spun Ferrari, grazing his rear bumper in the process.

The highlight, however, was lap 1. An LMP1 decided to start from the pits and.. yeah.

There's no sound for this video because I had my audio output set to headphones. HOWEVER, you can watch a version with sound if you click on this link and watch my Twitch stream of the race from the 1h 3m mark and then drop a follow etc etc nudge nudge wink wink

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/979346178

That would require me to make a Twitch account.

Indy Pro at the 'Ring; 24 cars. I started from the pits. Finished 8th, simply by not crashing.

That LMP car joining from the pits is like people here in Portland merging on the freeway. At least get up to the speed traffic is going if you are just going to decide to join in right in the middle of the field!

Junior Potato
    Trouble with that is the pit speed limit line is just at the end of where the pit wall ends, so he didn't have much time to accelerate. It was actually caused by the Ferrari ducking out then pulling in last minute and getting itself wedged on either side. In a real-life situation the driver would have been able to spot it.

My favourite part is how every single car that drove past me rather than hanging back ended up being caught in the incident. That's why they have yellow flag rules! But in saying that I should have stayed behind the LMP myself

To prevent it, obviously change the way pit lane starts are handled. Either hold the car back for another ten seconds or have a longer gap to the GTE field. The effects of either change would be much more manageable.
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; April 9th, 2021 at 06:33 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    That would require me to make a Twitch account.
    Tweesh, deescord... kid these days.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    I had a really good time racing IMSA at Watkins Glen today. I has an inexplicably spare slot in my track buying spreadsheet and filled the gap with the Dallara LMP2. I did three 45-minute races in that. Two were spoiled by crashes leading to 10+ minute repairs in the pits (but I carried on because that's the racer's spirit yeah!), but the third was a good-ish run only marred by a rather boysterous entry into pit lane that earned me a 40 second hold, with only two off-tracks and 5th place out of 10 cars-in-class.

For my fourth race I switched back to the Porsche RSR and qualified an amazing 29th overall (19th-in-class) out of 36 cars. On lap 1 there was a hyoooooge pile up then a few more spins that gifted me 10th-in-class by the end of lap 1. I held onto it, pitted, and enjoyed a rather lonely race where I finished 14th overall, 6th in class. I passed nobody on the track for a position. They were all beaten by attrition.

Sounds like most of my GT sprint races.

Junior Potato
    One thing that has been quite successful for me is hugging the inside line on turn 1. I was fortunate to start each race on the right side so I didn’t have to change lanes on the green. I just move over to the wall and then slot in behind someone on the apex making sure that nobody moves down on me.

The rationale is that accidents will carry momentum to the outside of the turn and away from you. The biggest risk is cars approaching from the rear 3/4 taking the racing line which you can’t see very well, and you might be out of their view too.

I don’t know how well this strategy will work at Nurb-GP T1 however.

I'm sitting here at home screaming at my TV, "WATCH YOUR REJOIN!!!!" but the dummy didn't listen and took out Cam and the other cars around him.

And now I'm seeing it's the second time a spinner took him out in the same race, but the first time was just someone losing it and not knowing what to do. This second time was just a full on idiot and/or intentionally doing it.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yeah, I'm reporting that guy. He wrecked all four cars in our little train.

One of my buddies on TeamSpeak said, "You're a magnet for that stuff." Yes, I absolutely am.