Page 155 of 225 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2246

Thread: iRacing

Thanks for watching!

iRacing moves farther away from the sim I originally enjoyed:

Chelmsford, MA – January 4, 2022 – iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations (iRacing) announced today the acquisition of Monster Games, Inc (MGI). The Minnesota-based game development studio has a long history of racing game development, including the NASCAR Heat franchise and more recently Tony Stewart’s Sprint Car Racing game. The acquisition will bring another level of expertise under the iRacing roof, and further the company’s ability to bring the highest quality racing games to the broader market, including the console space.
    A lot of the choices over the last few years (like AI, etc.) have moved them away from their sim model. Expending resources to move into consoles is another indicator that iRacing as a company is moving away from what I signed up for and towards the casual gamer. It's not unlike MSFS in that way.

They also bought Orontes, maker of DRAG on Steam, an off-road racing game.

Good to know they're solvent, if nothing else.

I don't think the core of what iRacing is will be changing. It would be nice if they could improve the car feel and grip though. The lazy spins that are impossible to recover are really annoying.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    iRacing moves farther away from the sim I originally enjoyed:

A lot of the choices over the last few years (like AI, etc.) have moved them away from their sim model. Expending resources to move into consoles is another indicator that iRacing as a company is moving away from what I signed up for and towards the casual gamer. It's not unlike MSFS in that way.
    Interesting that you saw it as an expansion towards consoles. It’s not something I’d ever considered from iRacing. But I don’t see it as a bad thing.

ACC made it to PS4 and Xbox One unscathed, and all that racers have to deal with there is less options for online play and reduced performance. MSFS is also a good console flight sim, and that game’s main problem is a huge amount of bugs and performance issues across both platforms. Neither game has lost anything in the shift over. If anything, big squashing in MSFS could have received more focus, but I ain’t mad.

Having said that, I’m still a relative baby in iRacing and I don’t know what the vibe was in the early days, before the massive explosion in popularity during COVID. It has copped a lot of heat for many things, including from myself.

But would having it on console make it worse or less relevant? Probably not, as long as they take care and try filter out the crashers and wannabes. I think the subscription model would handle that. How much worse can it be than racing against people who are on ancient PC hardware?

I had this exact chat with Keith earlier today. The short of it is that there are no simulators on consoles. Great games that offer a depiction of realism, but they are still just games. Even the ports of sims like ACC. It's a self-evident truth so it's not really worth expanding on it.

Junior Potato
    I disagree that the box that your hardware comes in is an inherent limit to the ability of a piece of software to simulate something. But in any case, I saw some news on it and to me it looks like they'll do two things with these acquisitions: make iRacing better in various ways, and become a publisher of other titles separate from iRacing.

The guy in charge of Monster Games is Rich Garcia, and he worked with Dave Kaemmer back in the Papyrus days, so I'd imagine they've both got a very similar outlook on what a racing sim should be.

On another note, both Monster and Orontes share something in common: they've both made dirt racing games in the recent past. Orontes' DRAG has a demo on Steam. It's... OK. Monster Games have made a couple of Tony Stewart branded titles and SRX: The Game, all of which focus on dirt and asphalt short track racing. Think Sprint Cars, late models, Legends, etc.

Perhaps iRacing is looking to greatly expand their off-road content in the near future?

WRC style stage racing? They've already started with Mt. Washington and the Beetle Lite. :shrug:

Had a great race in Porsche Cup last night. Just kept it safe and 4th was basically handed to me. Nim was watching my stream and commented in the live chat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbinZ7VYyVg