Page 7 of 225 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

May be old news for you guys, but I found this interesting -

Scott Speed getting in trouble in iRacing
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/3/169...cing-suspended

Wow. Neat, thanks.

Interesting.

No doubt a real racer will probably take things less seriously than a hardcore simmer, but that's unacceptable.

I have iRaced with Patrick Long and he was a bit of a knob, but nothing like this.

Nicky Thiim is very active, and live streams on youtube. Also great resource for setups.

Administrator
    Speed's apparent inability to handle the red mist explains a lot about his career.

Got my VR setup and boy is it a mixed bag of emotions. In terms of driving, the perspective is certainly much more realistic than triple monitor setups. You're 'in it' to the point that I drive more like I do at an HPDE than how I race in, say, GT:S. I went to VIR in the Z4 first and it was so much easier to stay on track near the limit as I had a much better idea of where the track really is. There are some parts of certain tracks, like Road Atlanta, that I had no idea were so steep and blind until I tried it here.

The flip side is that the sim is ugly. The best way I can explain it is that everything renders so crisp and distinctly that you can't help but notice that everything is a collection of shapes rather than part of a fluid universe. I think this is an iRacing characteristic, they say the graphics engine is completely updated but it looks like NASCAR 2003. There is a lot to configure with VR in iRacing so maybe I can get the right combination to find some more realistic textures. I started with https://boxthislap.org/cv1-iracing-setup-guide/ and also the iRacing VR forum and will tweak it as I go.

Someone made a SpecE46 model for Assetto Corsa so I'll eventually try that out. I'm not in a big hurry because the AC track selection isn't super great. But that should tell me more about whether the ugliness of iRacing is headset or program related.

Screen door effect is there, but it's much less noticeable than with PSVR.

Junior Potato
    Don’t forget you can add mod tracks to Assetto. There are some absolute belters available.

Administrator
    Pcars 2 also works really well with the Rift.

What about rFactor? They're the only ones that have Carolina Motorsports Park as a track (that I can find) and I'm running a TT there in May. Wanted to do some track familiarization. Not sure if it was in rFactor or rFactor 2, or if the tracks are compatible.

I have seen the AC track mod lists. Good to know there are some quality models. I mean, the SE46 model was crowdfunded and really well done from what I hear, not sure if the same attention to detail is paid to random club tracks in the wilderness. Can't hurt to try, though.

As long as we're here, I'm looking for the following tracks if anyone knows if the exist anywhere:

Carolina Motorsports Park
    Heartland Motorsports Park
    GingerMan Raceway
    National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park
    Pittsburgh International Race Complex (I have seen an old BeaveRun model from before they expanded to the 2.75mi circuit, for AC I think)