Page 18 of 226 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

Yeah, absolutely. I wouldn't advise dipping into the Rookie races but you can absolutely race anywhere you're qualified to run.

I'm the type of racer that can't hop around like that. I have to really get dialed into a car (and even a track) to rise to even mediocre ranks. My last stint with iRacing I knuckled down and only ran the SRF, both in the official series and in a league. It cost me a ton of SR and even dropped me one or two licenses.

Cam, if you ever get into SRF I highly recommend joining SRF Weekend Warriors. It doesn't cost anything extra and it's a great group of racers to compete with. Serious, but not serious bizness. League races do not affect your SR or iRating. And it's a broadcast league with adds a whole new layer of fun to it. They generally race the same schedule as the official series so you don't have to practice two places a week.

Last edited by dodint; November 15th, 2019 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I spectated a race, just to try it. I saw retsmah online and joined about half-way through. I watched him finish on the podium. That’s a cool feature.
    That is pretty cool! I got hit by the same guy twice in the beginning two laps, went from starting 1st to last and then back up to 3rd.

I did an official RallyX race where I was the only competitor. Alas, iRacing does not count it. The race does not even show up in my recent race results. I would have just quit out had I known that.

Had a couple of other crazy rally races. First one, I started near the back to play it safe. Cars crashed and flew off the track ahead of me. All of a sudden, I was leading! Then, my car blew up. That is the first time I suffered a mechanical failure.

Second one, I started on the front row and was in second after lap one. The two guys behind me were faster and eventually caught and passed me. With one lap to go, 2nd place crashed hard and 3rd place did a celebratory spin over the finish line. Unfortunately for him, it was a lap too early. I took home second.

Had a couple of exciting SRF races. First one, I started 13th and finished 6th. Second one, I started 9th and finished 6th. I know 6th place would not normally be a big deal, but I was against a full field, using default set at a track/car combo I never raced before.

I was promoted to C license after the second SRF race. My SR dropped to 4.44 from 4.99, even though I had no incidents.
    Last edited by Cam; November 21st, 2019 at 04:55 AM.

Administrator
    Doesn't your SR drop when you go up a license? I think it's essentially "your SR within this license", so like a 4.0 in B is about the same as a 5.0 in C.

I figured that was the case.

Is there some shifting trick I am missing in the SRF? Some dudes are pulling on the straights like I am down 20 hp.

There are optimal shift points, check the guide in the SRF forum. They're lower than you probably expect.

Well, that might be it. I’ve been shifting at 6200-6300 rpm, when it should be more like 5600-5700.

I read of a shifting technique that works in the MX-5 Cup car. I have not tried it in the SRF. If you use the H shifter, you can pre-select a gear, then just stab the clutch without even lifting when you want to shift. I gained some speed on the straights because of it.