Page 10 of 225 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    It's been well known that Max enjoys his sim racing.
    I am apparently very much out of the loop.

Junior Potato
    Jimmy Broadbent put up a video recently where the Redline guys invited him to have a race, which also had Verstappen and Lando Norris taking part.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Was interesting reading about that race from the people that were in it. I'm not good enough to jump into that pool but the water sure looks fine.

With the delivery of my cockpit the pieces I have been assembling since 2010 are really starting to look and feel good. It's the first time I've ever been able to comfortably use the h-gate shifter. Tomorrow the parts come in to mount my Momo wheel (the one that used to be in the E36) onto my G27, that'll feel really nice I think. I'll post pics up when it's done. Specs:

Triple monitor or Oculus Rift
    G27 w/320mm Momo wheel and extended paddles
    Fanatec Clubsport pedals
    DSD Button box mounted to the cockpit
    Next Level Racing F-GT cockpit
    Wireless keyboard/mouse combo

The next thing will end up being a Buttkicker, the cockpit already has a mount for it. After that I think I'd like to look into a higher quality H-gate shifter; but it seems like the gap between 'good' and 'real feeling' is like a $200 to $1200 jump. Yikes. Down the road I'll be looking at a direct drive wheel.
    Finally got around to snapping a lousy pic:

I'm really happy with it. Just need to carve out some time to actually practice. My Rift has been replaced and is working great.

Administrator
    Damn, that's impressive!

Thanks. Most of the components are so old because I've been piecing it together since 2010. I have a picture somewhere of my setup in 2012 and it's mostly all the same stuff. The purchase of the seat really pulled it all together. It's great being able to race and not have to press the wheel down to the desk to keep it from sliding around.

Junior Potato
    I wanna have a go!

How are you finding the seat?

The seat is good. The wheel, shifter, and pedals are very secure. The pedals have some play but not enough that I notice while driving. The seat looks minimalist and uncomfortable but I really don't notice any fatigue. It does come with a movable pillow (you can see the strap running around the back) for lumbar support and I think that addition goes a long way.

The negative is the adjustability. It's adjustable to a wide range but you have to use a wrench to make many of the changes, even tilting the seat. The only thing you can do on the fly is move the seat forward and back like a real car. Everything else requires using a wrench to loosen bolts, move the component, and then tighten. I keep a socket wrench and the two torx sockets the rig uses in a drawer nearby if I need to change anything. Not a huge deal but if you're allowing others to jump in at a party or something it may result in non-optimal seating arrangements for some. The plus side is that once you dial it in for yourself it's rock solid.

Some folks may find it difficult to get in and out. I don't mind it but I did bang my knee on the wheel mount once.
    I'm thinking of adding wheels to the bottom so I can move it around a little easier. It's not difficult to move but adding casters would certainly make it very easy.
    I use that little wireless keyboard/mouse combo so I don't have to contort myself to use the one attached to the PC.

That's a pretty sweet home rig.

Very tidy rig

I would definitely recommend the addition of a ButtKicker and Simvibe for some tactile feedback. I have a Gamer 2 mounted on a post under my seat and it's great for feedback from curbs, gear changes etc. Just generally making you feel more like you are in the cockpit of a real car, especially when using VR.

Yeah, the F-GT has a post under the seat specifically to mount a ButtKicker Gamer 2. It'll be a little bit before I get to it, maybe in the summer.