Page 5 of 225 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

I just picked up the two new GTE cars, plugged my wheel back in (taking it away from Forza) and had a couple laps around Le Mans in solo test. Man, I missed this.

I also got my free Gear VR in the mail yesterday. Trying it really makes me want to get the Rift.

Administrator
    DO IT!

Seriously, I don't think I can ever go back. It *might* be worth it to wait for future headsets that have a higher resolution, but I'm finding the current one to be plenty good enough for racing.

Administrator
    Ran a race at Le Mans with the Ford GT. Turns out I'm not super slow, my best lap was about one second off the top guys, which for a 3:50+ lap isn't all that bad. However, I neglected to check how many laps the race was and was down to 1.2 laps of fuel left when I decided it was time to pit for fuel. As I'm on pit road, I see the white flag, so I gave up three positions while I puttered along at 37mph down the front straight. Had a podium finish leading up to that. Oops.

Administrator
    I'm really digging on the Ford GT, but it sounds like there's a damage-related bug with it. Drivers saying that just normal driving over curbs results in damage that the sim then wants to fix in the pits. Since the IMSA races are long enough that you need to pit for fuel, the Ford ends up with a time penalty as the "damage" gets fixed. Just saw someone mention they were held there for 22 seconds, that'll pretty much ruin the race for anyone in the Ford.

That's a bummer, 'cause I'm really enjoying that car and planned to focus on it this seasons.

EDIT: Also finding that apparently it results in aero damage that is enough to knock some top speed off on straights. Going theory is that the car at normal ride heights is causing the diffuser to hit the ground, damaging it. 'Course, raising the car high enough to avoid that also hurts laptimes.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; June 13th, 2017 at 07:19 AM.

Better avoid the curbs in your fragile "road" car!

#fixorrepairineverypitstop
    Get that weak shit off my track

I found the packing case with my iRacing hardware (while looking for a baseball glove of all things) and iRacing sent me a 25% off coupon to come back, so it looks like the stars have aligned. I'm going to NCM this weekend for 24LM so I'll set my stuff up next week and start turning some laps. I never was as good as Brian (or Bryan) but maybe I'll see you out there.

Yeah, I just got the notice that my sub is up for renewal soon, at the same time I got a notice of the renewal bonuses. Hmm.

Did my first actual race last night in the fixed MX-5 cup at Summit Point. I though I had good practice times (low 1:23's high :22's optimal). Qualified last and finished last on the road (but like 7th with crashers, DNF's and DQ's).

Administrator
    Yeah, I'm being reminded that I suck still. I think my fastest lap in either of the GTE cars around Suzuka is in the low 1:57s, most people seem to be in the 1:55s with a few people turning 1:53s.

I am looking forward to when I stop getting put in the top split.

Administrator
    Didn't get much of a chance to race this week, so went for a last ditch one this afternoon before the week changed. Was still slow, but consistent, and a number of drivers were fucking up around me, so I had a shot at a marginal result.

Until an LMP took me out at the second ess at Watkins. He was lapping me, looked inside on me, I breathed out of the throttle and stayed right, he hit my rear wheel and sent me into the barriers. 22 minutes of required repairs with 20 minutes left in the race. Meh.

Administrator
    I feel just like the guys at Risi. At least it actually feels like "well, that's racing" sorta incident.