Page 197 of 197 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197
Results 1,961 to 1,966 of 1966

Thread: iRacing

Junior Potato
    And finally, I had a ripper race in the trucks in Atlanta a few days ago. I'll set the scene:

40 lap race, and as always I start kinda slow and let everyone speed off while I save my tyres. You'll notice car #3 in the video has a Team PGZ livery, so he must be one of old mate Pablo the toxic Twitch streamer's esports drivers. He passed me early on and I knew I wanted to beat him! We get to lap 20 and everyone's pace starts tailing off, and it's almost my time to shine, but then a backmarker spins on lap 25 and a full course yellow comes out, which means fresh tyres for everyone.

I come out of the pits in 5th, and we have a restart with about 10 laps to go. I settle in behind PGZ and wait to see what he's going to do. No saving tyres this time! But we go for 5 laps and he's as slow as he was beforehand! I decide I need to whip out the old top groove card. We come into the race on lap 35. With one lap to go, a backmarker appears...

I was sat there laughing my arse off. I HAD to try for the win. It was a thrilling few laps (for me) and at all came to that noisy conclusion

And yeah, I did apologise to everyone for the damage at the end

I enjoy reading about everyone's racing exploits. Thanks for sharing, guys.

About the Classic Lotus Grand Prix (Lotus 79): I bought this car maybe a year and a half ago because I thought it was interesting. I like the historics. I drove it for a season and decided I did not enjoy driving it. I was way off pace, it was physically demanding to drive and it rattled my old G27 to pieces. Last season, I broke out this car again and I kind of enjoyed driving it, even though I was still way off pace. My new wheel eliminated the rattle. My interest was renewed. The car is actually pretty easy to drive. If you join the Discord channel for the series, they provide setups and lap demos. The broadcast slot on Sunday is probably the best time to drive it. The community setups can get loose near the end of a race, so you need to adjust the roll bars on the fly.

This season, I did a full season (at least 8 races) in Porsche Cup, Porsche Cup Fixed, Supercars-Australian Server, Grand Prix Legends (Lotus 49,) Kamel GT (GTP and GTO,) and Classic Lotus Grand Prix (Lotus 79.) Basically, I raced 7 series this season.

I did not do many endurance races this year. I hope to do more in 2023.

I think you guys know how I feel about GT3/E. It's not the cars I have a problem with, it's the other drivers. I got tired of being wrecked. I would like to drive the RSR more, but the only option for that now is the Euro series. Anyone interested in some six-hour enduros?

One point about the blue flag, multiclass races. It'd be great, and a great deterrent to anyone trying to race you, if they gave the car getting the blue flag a time/slow down penalty if they don't let you past in say, 1 lap.
    Could work to make people more aware they don't need to race a faster car.

I completely forgot to mention that I also raced Beetle Lite and Rookie Beetle Lite, so I raced nine full series this season.

There was one time my brother and I did the GT Enduro (3 hour) at Tsukuba. Our normal strategy was to pit early. One lap was just about one minute. Coincidentally, our pit stop was about one minute. When we came out, we were exactly one lap behind the guys we were just racing with. The team that was directly behind us incessantly harassed us about the blue flag. What they did not realize was that we were fighting each other for position. After that team pitted, we were ahead of them. Black flagging us in that situation would be unfair.

Junior Potato
    ^ yep, sucks to say it but itís best if it is left un-policed.

In that specific situation it comes down to them being more aware or proactive in their strategy. They could have easily pitted early, had a 1-on-1 battle, and seen how it washed out.

I see so many times teams not realising that a 3-hr enduro might require 3 pit stops if they arenít careful on fuel. You can gain 10 spots in the last 10 laps when these teams need to hop in for a splash and dash.

Itís that extra level of awareness that can make a huge difference. And like I mentioned earlier, if youíre at risk of ending up in a genuine battle down the line, AND youíre not egregiously holding up another car, youíre under no obligation to do anything. The sporting code says you have to facilitate passing under yellow and donít block. Thatís it. Pay for a good lawyer to interpret that one in the tribunal.

In the GT enduros, at most tracks you could get away with two stops. Everyone takes tires with a two-stop strategy. However, Tim and I wanted to split the driving time about 50/50. One of us would start the race on lighter fuel, pit early and take fuel only. Then, we would change drivers and tires at the 1.5 hour mark. The last stop would be for fuel only. Yes, we lost time with the extra pit stop. However, we made up time only taking tires once. Also, we spent more time with a lighter fuel load. It came close to evening out in the end. Keep in mind that this strategy only worked if we didn't get wrecked, which was only 25% of the time.