Page 76 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

Also, check out this good video that breaks down costs of iRacing. There are a few extra things he could have covered, but a great break-down none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J2VROCkCrc

Also also, if you decide to sign up, one of us could get ten iBucks if you use our e-mail in the referral field. Since I appear to be the only active iRacer here, PM me for my e-mail.

And there's this, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    iRacing is not the economical option for sim racing. Full disclosure, I have spent about $600 on iRacing, totaling up all the cars and tracks and membership fees I paid for. I bought over 40 pieces of content, so I get 20% off everything now. There are a few cars I regret buying, but I use most of the things I bought regularly.

Junior Potato
    Thanks for the info Cam. Yeah chuck me your email address and I'll use it for referral.

That video was great. I think I might progress more slowly through the series than this guy is positing. But the best idea which I never even thought of was to create an alt-account for a few months before diving in fully on a main account. I will do that this week!

The time is right, since I am off my feet but able to drive again. After a couple of hours in Assetto last night I'm finding muscles I forgot I had!

Junior Potato
    Alright. So let me get some things straight.

iRacing is at week 12 right now. Week 13 is considered the 'off' week where they still host races but no collisions or off-track incidents affect your SR, yeah? So now is a good time to buy-in because I can do some races with no pressure before the real stuff begins.

For the next season, where can I find out the upcoming schedule? If I subscribe now, I assume I will be best served driving in the MX-5 cup, which looks like it is completely free. And then after that I am sure I will be wanting to step up to Ferrari GT3s. If I get bored of those there's always dirt, oval and rallycross, which also have no additional costs.

What do you guys consider to be the most rewarding pathway to where you are now?

Yep, week 13 is the "screwing around" week. You're still expected not to intentionally crash people or anything, but you don't get dinged for getting a little too exuberant.

I know you can look at the upcoming schedule because I did that and bought all the tracks for the series I planned to do, then didn't do at all. Heck if I can remember where though. The forums might also be a good place to look, each series I think has its own forum and they probably post the schedule there.

If you're doing road racing, you'll definitely start in the MX-5s. Most people moved on to the Skippy from there, if only because at the time I did it the only D class cars were the Skippy and the Spec Racer Ford, and the latter was incredibly hard to drive. Now I think there's a few other options, which might be the way to go if you're looking to get into the GT3 cars. I enjoy driving the CTS-V quite a bit, which I think is D class. Then just focus on your safety rating and ignore the irating until you get to the class that lets you drive the car you want.

Junior Potato
    Oh yeah, Skippys too. I forgot about those.

With regards to the schedule, what about if you’re not a paying member like I am currently?

Ahh, you probably have to ask one of us who is a paying member and we can go look for you.

Schedules are normally posted in a PDF on iRacing forums. You need to be an iRacing member to access the forums. 2021, season 2 has not been announced as of yet. I think it is safe to assume that it will be similar to season 1.

I have uploaded the 2021, season 1 schedule to my web space for your convenience and consideration:
    http://cameronporter.net/2021Season1.pdf

Yes, at the moment, it is week 12 of 2021, season 1. The 13th week between seasons is a bit different, as it has events that do, and do not, affect your ratings. You can choose what races to run. It tells you in the series information if it counts towards your ratings; ranked or unranked.

For noobs that have not leased more content, race selection can be limited, depending on the week. You will have a few tracks and cars available that are included with the initial membership. For example, When I first signed up, I could drive the Radical, but not every week because I did not own the tracks that the car was racing on that week. In my time zone, the new week starts on Monday evening around 7:00pm. At first, I raced a lot of MX-5 Cup, Sim Lab Production Car Challenge (Pontiac Solstice and Mazda MX-5), Spec Racer Ford, Fanatec Global Challenge (Cadillac CTS-V and Kia Optima), Pro 2 Lite Trucks and iRX (VW Beetle) depending on the track. It was months before I decided to take the plunge and bought a whack of content.

I would be happy to provide more information for you if you have questions.
    Last edited by Cam; March 4th, 2021 at 04:17 PM.