Page 187 of 188 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1876

Thread: iRacing

Good luck, Blerpa!

Sadly, the SR system does not deter petulant drivers from doing unsafe things.

I have never tried testing cars during maintenance periods. RWA said you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Someone conveniently clipped it....
    How did you find that? Is there a channel dedicated to DG's shitty driving?

Junior Potato
    Yes it is Daniel Gray’s Twitch channel

Solid.

Junior Potato
    Damn I want to test drive the Porsche Mission R but for some reason it is not in the test drive list. Ahh well maybe next time.

Also I got a win in ARCA tonight, but unfortunately it included punting the guy out of first. He was really slow on the mid-corner late in the race and was pulling it up really hard on the apexes, plus my tyres were fresh because I nursed them from the start.

I apologised afterwards and said I felt bad about it. The victim was OK with it and said he had damage anyway and knew he was slow. The defence was good but he was chopping quite hard down onto the white line, making it hard for me to predict what he'd do. I was really just waiting for my opportunity but was right on his caboose. Thinking about it now I could have backed it up a little and rolled the apex, then got a faster exit and beat him down a straight.

I looked him up afterwards and it turns out he is a pro eSports driver in the Supercars for Brad Jones Racing. He as over 9000 iR on road and nearly 3000 on oval.

I think if it was some random he'd have been mad about it! Good sportsmanship from a pro driver.

But we've seen way worse in real NASCAR and a win is a fuckin win amirite?

Nice.

So yesterday I took advantage of the downtime period and I tested a shitload of cars - not all of them, and only Road cars - at Monza (in ACC, AC and AMS2 my go to test track is Imola, but I do not own it in iR, yet), so here are my quick impressions, with few disappointments and some surprises.
    I did not try any GT3 cars aside from the Ferrari. No GTE and no Audis, but the 90.
    No Formula Renault either, it will be for another time, I guess.
    The number within brackets are my votes to the cars, in a 0-10 system, with half points too.

But before I'll talk separately about the GT4 cars: I'm driving in a summer GT4 cup in ACC where GT4s are very different from one another. I drive a 718 in there. Cannot say I'm totally satisfied by it. In iRacing the car is even more prone to understeer than in ACC, but feels lacking a direct connection to the road, difficult to explain. It is still decent (6.5) but frankly overshadowed by the other GT4s.
    The BMW M4 (6.5) has similar feels to the Porsche but more beastly. The AMG feels cumbersome and sketchy (5). The Mclaren 570S (7.5), which in ACC is famous to be quick but basically lacking brakes and has not braking bias control as in real life, here is a joy to drive: it feels like you could push it while steering with a single finger! And it brakes!
    The Aston Martin GT4 (7.5) feels to me the best one, it is fast, it brakes well and it has very precise and stable insertion in corners... in ACC it is one of the best GT4s but it has a weird gearing, it seems it is not the case here.
    I suppose I would have to choose between the effortless Mclaren or the detailed handling of the Aston in case I would embark in a GT4 campaign.

. Audi 90 GTO (6)
    Felt powerful, but with a lot of understeer. Not my kind of car, although it looks menacing!

. Dallara F3 (6.5)
    Surprisingly it felt like a beast even if F3 is actually a small openwheeler, I would have liked better if I didn't have to see a pole in front of my face. Strong FFB, quick, reactive, but that antenna is a deal breaker.

. Dallara P217 (8)
    This IS a beast. Quick, powerful, stuck to the road, nimble. Woah. I may look forward to drive one of these in the future, although I'm worried by the things to take care of while driving. Promoted!

. Dallara iR-01 (6)
    I don't even remember driving this car, so I suppose it was uneventful enough if I did give it a 6 out of 10. I remember an ok steering wheel with enough info on it. Basically something like a mid 90s F1 V10 car. Pass.

. Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo 2020 (7)
    Ok, here is one of the surprises: I come from ACC where this car is quick, but nervous and a nightmare to drive over kerbs. In here it is pleasantly neutral in feel, it is more controlled, yet speed seemed not lacking. One caveat: FFB seemed poised to tear my arms off! Ugh! Still, I could see myself racing it in a spec series or even GT3s.

. Ford Mustang FR500S (5)
    Power is there, speed kinda is, but braking, although powerful, is often a matter of losing the rear for no point whatsover. If I have to drive a car loose under braking in that category I'll stick to the MX-5 Cup. Thanks, no thanks.

. HPD ARX-01c (6)
    I didn't expect much but this car is actually decent fun. Too bad is basically phased out, it would have been ok for people out of rookie for a first taste of powerful barchettas. Still it feels like old physic builds.

. Honda Civic Type R (4)
    This was one of the worst vehicles I did drive. Slow, felt cumbersome, understeery. Didn't connect at all with me. Fail.

. Hyundai Elantra N TC (6)
    Out of the three TC cars I tried (missed the Audi RS3 LMS, tho), this felt the best. It was manageable, quick enough and not too difficult to get grips with. If I would race TCR class - which probably I would not - it would be my choice.

. Hyundai Veloster N TC (5.5)
    This felt like a potentially better car than the Elantra, but a bit more difficult to push at its limits. The Elantra in comparison felt effortless (relative to TCR cars, which, to me, are still a no go and a front heave boredom to drive).

. Lotus 49 (5 to race it, 8 for the beauty)
    This thing is wonderfully treacherous to drive as much as it was in Grand Prix Legends. Magnificent as visuals go, my skills run short when it comes to drive this. Still I admire it.

. Lotus 79 (8)
    Dear lord, what this is!!! I was expecting a tricky car to drive, akin to its grandmother aforamentioned, instead I got a devilish spirited one. Surprisingly easy to control, stuck to the tarmac and asking you to trust it when throwing it into the corners, this thing keep pushing and pushing. Mighty fun, and the slightly lazy low rpm response, especially at lower gears, makes it driveable with ease even for a smuck like me. I WANT to drive it in a series, no doubt about it. I find disheartening that rumours about this vehicle being phased out in the damning limbo of Legacy were numerous - how dare iRacing and people NOT enjoy this masterpiece?

. Nissan GTP ZX-T (6)
    This car has the grunt, the speed and the grip. Did not feel completely comfortable driving it, but it may be down to the right hand seat which troubles me. If forced I would drive it.

. Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 992 (6)
    Usual Porsche Cup fare to me: it all goes well till the tail does try to kill you under braking. Thanks but no thanks, I do not want to fear each corner.
    Also no ABS and TC. Uhm, nope.

. Radical SR10 (6)
    This car was a bit of disappointment for me. I love barchettas, especially tiny ones and especially Radicals, but I could not get to grip with this. The car is decently fast and it has power but it is annoyingly wooden to drive. Understeer? A bit too, but mostly did not feel as fluid as I expected it. Feels even more shameful now that the more nimble SR8 is getting phased out. Meh.

. Skip Barber Formula 2000 (4)
    One costant in my sim racing career is my loathe for the Skippie. I dunno why but can't stand the thing: it is uglier than an Aztek, its asthmatic engine seems on its way to crumble down in pieces at each gear change and those skinny tyres are ludicrous. Get it away from my eyes!

. Supercars Ford Mustang GT (5)
    Powerboat with a murderous tail. Scorpion more than an Abarth could ever be. Fun for most, I can truly believe it, not for me. I stick to watch Supercars V8 on TV, thanks.

. USF 2000 (7)
    Why anyone does not talk about this? It is FUN! No stupid poles or beams in front of you, predictable driving, enough speed for an entry level openwheeler, an easy readable HUD on the wheel, I'm amazed this is not one of the most praised cars in iRacing. I hope it does not get phased out, I want to drive this!

. iRacing Formula iR-04 (5)
    So this thing is basically a non-licensed F4.
    And it feels like a non-licensed bag of bore.
    Also Halo. No thanks, I like to see where I'm driving. No point in this when the USF 2000 is so much more fun, more powerful and lighter.

So the cars I'd like to drive in the future?
    The Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo has the advantage that can be used both in GT3 series and in its own spec ones.
    I'd choose either Aston Martin or Mclaren 570S to drive in GT4, they seemed fun.
    Definitely want to race the Dallara LMP2, the Lotus 79 and the USF 2000.

Not quite a lot of cars, but then again even with only those cars it would be a chore to race them all concurrently.

Oh, one more thing: did two races in Production Challenge, on MX-5, yesterday... got already to C Class 3.57 Road!
    Now what? Keep on Production class for this season or spend money to jump to another series in C Class? I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices!

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    I stick to watch Supercars V8 on TV, thanks.
    You could always watch Supercars on my YouTube channel. Good race at Watkins Glen last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDHZH7yNkhk

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    You could always watch Supercars on my YouTube channel. Good race at Watkins Glen last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDHZH7yNkhk
    Everybody should watch this video and see evidence that Cam is like the nicest human on the planet. He doesn't even swear when he fucks up on a video game.

I purposefully keep my streams family-friendly.