Page 22 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    AI racing is iRacing jumping the shark. Change My Mind.
    Are they adding AI to the game?

I know racing against very hard AI is good practice on being faster, but nothing compares to racing against real hoomans.

Yeah.

In my experience with AI racing the pack is either way behind you, way ahead of you, or driving through you with no regard for racecraft. But then the bulk of my non-iRacing is done in GT:S so that could skew my impressions of it.

In iRacing you can run single events or championship seasons against AI now. Doesn't count against iRating or SR. It's basically practice with moving chicanes.

Junior Potato
    AC and AMS have really good AI that actually displays decent racecraft.

ACC has okay AI. It’s fast but they tend to group into trains of 3 cars that don’t make any moves. But you can’t crank the aggression slider too high to counter it, because they then begin dive-bombing the player. I’ve been taken out too many times by AI in that game.

GTS has by far the worst AI.

The GT Sport AI was actually pretty darn decent when the game was first released. I'm not sure what happened, but it went downhill sometime not too long after that. No big loss to me, as the majority of the players with A/S ratings are quite good to race with.

F1 2019 AI is really good. They'll race each other and the player, and usually get it fairly close to how a real world driver would drive. Not always. But they can be aggressive and dive bomb, but in a way that is fairly realistic so that they 'steal' your apex and you better give them a little space. If you have them turned up enough it's like racing a handful of Maxs out there. Online has been less good by some margin, but I'm still in Placement rank so I'm holding out hope there are quality drivers higher up the safety ladder. There was one guy at Bahrain the other night who was leading but wasn't very fast, and would just hip check or run off the road anyone who tried to pass him. I saw it going down for a few laps as I started 6th after totally botching my qualifying lap. Sure enough when he had dispatched of all challengers (some of whom dove into the pits to get their stop out of the way early, probably to avoid him) he did the same to me twice and gave me some front wing damage. Third time I managed to sucker him into understeering past an apex so I could safely do the over-under before he could get his car turned to hit me again. That felt good, and if I could have given him a virtual middle finger as I passed him I would have. I was going to pit that lap but stayed out one extra to build a gap in clean air. After it was all said and done he wasn't even on the podium.

Clearly a "gamer" not a "racer."

I have determined that it is not possible to keep your SR up by racing in rookie races. There are just sooo many cars spinning, colliding and doing odd things. Even when I am as careful as reasonably possible, I get incidents. The only solution is to simply not race and where’s the fun in that? I race for the thrill of the chase.

A good example is an MX-5 race I did earlier today. I tanked my qualifying lap so I would start at the back. I was 18th on the grid of 20 cars. I let everyone go at the start and did some safe laps. I was not even fast. I only made one actual pass on another car and finished 8th. I got 1x for going off track to avoid colliding with a spinning car.

They have a race this week that's Dallara F3s and Skip Barber cars, it's a train wreck. From what I can tell from other discussions online the F3 series is terrible all the time, I'm glad I did the skip barber car!

This is pretty funny though. Also an example of the problem, the two F3 cars couldn't even make it out of the pit without incident!
    Last edited by retsmah; December 6th, 2019 at 03:24 PM.

Just did a MX-5 race. I intentionally started at the back of 20 cars. Just stayed out of trouble and finished fourth.

Retsmah, I saw you registered, but did not see you in the race.
    Last edited by Cam; December 6th, 2019 at 04:41 PM.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by retsmah View Post
    This is pretty funny though. Also an example of the problem, the two F3 cars couldn't even make it out of the pit without incident!
    Double murdered!

If you are not cautious, you hit someone. If you are cautious, you get hit from behind.

I did one of the mixed class races you've been doing Cam. I was in the MX-5, and had no fewer than 3 run-ins with dumb Mustang drivers One of them sun in Andretti hairpin right in front of me. The next spun to the inside at the exit of turn 3 and just decided to reverse across the track as I was exiting on the racing line right in front of me. I ended up with 17x and losing about .4 of SR.