Page 71 of 225 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

One of my complaints about iRacing is that the safety rating system does not make the racing safer. Many driver want to win or be ahead of me at all costs.

No, the system cannot tell the difference between the offender and offendee. I understand why, as the computer cannot make judgement calls and the system may be open to abuse otherwise.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Thinking out loud here, wonder if it'd make a difference to SR if, in a collision, the object that 'received' the contact was with its 4 wheels inside the track boundaries and pointing within 30° of that section's direction got a free pass. Or how hard it'd be to program that sort of collision box.
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Although from your comments on this page, it seems a lot of your later incidents have been with fast but impatient drivers who either push you off track or bounce off you in a corner. Said collision box would really change nil.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Been frustrated with racing lately. Sooo many shitty drivers wrecking me.
    Definitely noticed that in the handful of videos I’ve watched. Other drivers are so impatient and reckless.

I just had a clean IMSA Sportscar race, so I'm feeling a little better. Still lots of wrecks though.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Thinking out loud here, wonder if it'd make a difference to SR if, in a collision, the object that 'received' the contact was with its 4 wheels inside the track boundaries and pointing within 30° of that section's direction got a free pass. Or how hard it'd be to program that sort of collision box.
    Gran Turismo uses a system that matches steering position with collision. It’s pretty flawed; you could be avoiding a crash and still get a penalty, just because you appeared to be steering toward another car. To make matters worse it applies penalties in real time in the form of a slow-down penalty to be taken in a designated part of the track, so they can really ruin your race.

I saw a video from the early days of the game where it would in those days generate penalties by matching car contact with going off track. So if two cars touched and one ended up off the track it would recognise it as ramming and penalise the car that didn’t leave the bitumen. It was so easy to exploit. In the video I saw a driver would nudge a car from behind then purposefully run onto the grass, causing the game to penalise the driver who got nudged. That victim would have to slow down on the next lap, ruining their race.

So unless you have live stewarding it’s almost impossible for an AI system to accurately dish out penalties. iRacing makes a good compromise where both cars get penalised for collisions but doesn’t hand out live penalties, however that system assumes that drivers possess a certain level of maturity.

Administrator
    I'd say that the safety rating helps but doesn't fix it. You still get wrecked by idiots, but it's nothing like playing racing sims against randos that *don't* have a safety-rating like system.

It sounds like the safety rating system in iRacing just needs to be tougher.

Junior Potato
    Or be more enticing?

For example if they gave players a free month's subscription for keeping their SR above a certain threshold.

I think there are a few factors that could be improved to make the racing safer. It is too easy to get higher licenses. My bro got his A road license in less than two weeks, but he had his SR above 4. I think Bryan is right in saying the SR system need to be tougher. However, the higher your SR is and the higher your license class, the more difficult it is to keep your SR up. How is that fair to the guys that race clean? For example, when I (A license, 4+ SR) look at race results, sometimes I see that I've had like 1-2x in the race and my safety rating went down. Meanwhile, another driver (B license, 2+ SR) has 10x and got an increase in SR. That does not seem fair to me.

Alas, no safety rating system will stop the "I MUST BE AHEAD OF YOU AT ALL COSTS!" drivers.