Page 9 of 225 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I've been reminded why I don't like PC gaming...
    And how that thing breaking has to do with PC gaming since it was an accessory breaking down? An accessory probably faulty or badly designed, no matter if it was built for PC or consoles?

I can't remember the last time a Playstation controller broke, let alone twice.

Or the last time I had to dig into Playstation .ini files to make a controller work. Or rollback and try new drivers for the GPU.

PC gaming has tremendous upside, sure. Saying it doesn't take more work than a console is a lie to yourself and everyone else.

Now that I'm at a computer and can free type a little bit I'll expand on what I meant, I don't want Ang to think I am attacking him in another volley of the console v. PC wars.

To answer your question directly; it looks like the Oculus problem is an HDMI handshake problem that may or may not be due to the NVIDIA driver set, or any other number or issues. The Fanatec pedal issue is separate and is a failed USB logical controller on the pedal chassis; it has failed twice in 15 months of a mix of light play and storage.

More broadly:

PC gaming has a higher ceiling for user experience. As a guy that likes sims, I marvel at what people can do with sim racing gear and to an even greater extent flight simulator gear. It's fantastic. It also takes a lot of expense, planning, and trial/error to get everything working right, and there is no guarantee that it will stay working when one component has a firmware upgrade and upsets that balance. That's where I'm at right now with my sim racing rig. I'm at an investment point of about...$2700 all told and I can't race. Makes me sad.

Console gaming is limited, you get what they give you and the software they make for that platform. But, save for the annoying system and game updates from time to time, the shit just works. I meant it when I said I've never replaced a PS controller, they just go forever. The systems are getting more advanced and there is some factionalization (PS4 Pro v. PS4 concerns, etc.) but by and large for $399 I'm out the door with a high end console that just works all the time and delivers a very good experience.

I prefer console gaming, which is another way of wording what you quoted me saying above. I don't think PC gaming is bad. I also don't think it's fair to say that PC gaming is as easy as console gaming; it's just not. The only way it comes close is if you stick with a keyboard and mouse and run your game below optimal specs. But at that point, why not just get a console (PC exclusives and the like, aside)?

Junior Potato

Niiice.

Administrator
    That took me way too long to get. And it's a bummer, I prefer to play on PC if for no other reason than the wife can watch TV while I play on the monitor, so I still haven't played either RDR1 or 2.

iRacing is so intense and takes a ton of practice. Feels great when you get something right, though.

Right now the Lotus 79 series is at the Charlotte Roval. It's as if they took Bathurst and crammed it down into a NASCAR infield. Pretty terrifying but loads of fun, particularly near the limit.

My series of focus is the Pro Mazda, though. Sadly the series is dying due to the Renault 2.0 and 3.5 hitting the scene, but it's still my favorite car in the sim.

Administrator
    I'm assuming y'all have seen this, Max Verstappen appears to have joined iRacing and set a record at the Charlotte Roval: https://www.facebook.com/Teamredline...00356494038710

'Course, after that there are two videos of him intentionally wrecking drivers, so he's getting the same reputation on iRacing he has in real life. Who does he think he is, Scott Speed?

It's been well known that Max enjoys his sim racing. Cool to see him on an iRacing team. Team Redline no less.

I skimmed through a broadcast of a Porsche Cup iRacing race a couple days ago. In the couple years I've been away from iRacing it seems to have come a long way. The cars looked *really* right in terms of how they move around and interact with the track (or grass...) surface. I'm trying to work out a way to get back into it, which will involve a new PC at the minimum. Three screens and/or VR would be really nice, too. And a direct-drive wheel instead of the G27... and some hydraulic pedals... which all means a real chassis is needed... man, it gets expensive to do this right.

Was interesting reading about that race from the people that were in it. I'm not good enough to jump into that pool but the water sure looks fine.

With the delivery of my cockpit the pieces I have been assembling since 2010 are really starting to look and feel good. It's the first time I've ever been able to comfortably use the h-gate shifter. Tomorrow the parts come in to mount my Momo wheel (the one that used to be in the E36) onto my G27, that'll feel really nice I think. I'll post pics up when it's done. Specs:

Triple monitor or Oculus Rift
    G27 w/320mm Momo wheel and extended paddles
    Fanatec Clubsport pedals
    DSD Button box mounted to the cockpit
    Next Level Racing F-GT cockpit
    Wireless keyboard/mouse combo

The next thing will end up being a Buttkicker, the cockpit already has a mount for it. After that I think I'd like to look into a higher quality H-gate shifter; but it seems like the gap between 'good' and 'real feeling' is like a $200 to $1200 jump. Yikes. Down the road I'll be looking at a direct drive wheel.