Page 158 of 175 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1748

Thread: iRacing

Junior Potato
    Congrats! Good effort

Junior Potato
    I’ve had a shit time on ovals this week. New Hampshire is the track, a mile of bumpy tarmac with low banking. If you shorten tracks to be less than 2 miles long people suddenly turn into missiles. Last night I did a race where I started 6th, did my usual thing of being patient, then finished 3rd after a really tight battle with a couple of cars.

Next race I set out to do the same thing, only to be spun in turn 1 on lap 11 and ended up at the back in 19th for the restart.

Patience out the window as I needed positions again, so I turned aggressive, passing two cars on the green before turn 1, only to have a wreck three cars ahead of me that I couldn’t avoid. Thankfully only minor damage.

Next restart I was 15th. I passed a few and this time we made it two laps before another wreck right in front of me. I had engine damage.

Next restart I was 11th, there were 13 cars on the lead lap. Low on power, I held off someone behind me for a few laps. Ahead of me some side-by-side netcode caused two cars to suck into one another, with the perceived victim doing a big swerve to retaliate.

I pitted for some repairs. I was 9th. We went into overtime and I prepared myself for more defending. Big crash at the back on the green, so we cruised around for two laps to the finish.

I somehow still gained 5 iRating after that shit show, but my license is down to A2.05 after this week.

Earlier in the afternoon one guy was driving like a dick. We were in the top 10. I wanted to let him go but he couldn’t pass me, just being on my door for five laps. Entering turn 3 he was behind me and attempted a dive, but to do so he cut hard across the bumper of the car behind him, which pushed him up into me and spun me out. I was behind him on a restart, and a lap later he lost the rear big time ended exiting 2. I was passing when he over-corrected back up into the rest of the field, including myself. He took out at least three cars and sent me into the barriers, basically killing my race.

In the heat of the moment I said “For fuck’s sake.” He replied, “If you’d fucking let people gather their shit, that wouldn’t have happened, you fucking r****d!”

I draw the line with using that word. The voice chat ban will be annoying for him once they review my report.

Typical, not taking responsibility for their own garbage.

I did an Indy Fixed Oval race for the first time in a while. It went as most of my ovals go. I got wrecked twice by idiots. I declined to qualify, so I started at the back. After several cautions, I was sixth. On the restart, the guy ahead of me lost control at the green and took me with him. Later in the race, another car caught up to me. I was at least a lap down because of my earlier incident. I went high and gave him all the room. Exiting turn four, he opened up and wrecked us both. There was not even a reason for him to go high. He did not lose control. He was trying to block me or something. It's faster to stay down low, IMO. Completely idiotic move that ended both our races.

I was bitching to my wife about the race. She said, "You have a shitty hobby." At first I was taken aback. She is not normally so forthright. Then, I was reminded of dodint's post from a while back.

"Yeah. Why do I continue to race?" I said to her. I get wrecked so often by other's garbage driving. It really takes its toll on my enjoyment when I am regularly wrecked in 2/3s of my races. "When things go well, it is really enjoyable." I thought about the 3rd place at Spa this week-end in the GT Enduro. I thought about the multiple top-fives we got in the Nurburgring Enduros. I thought about the last three Porsche Cup races where I had really fun races and finished in the top five. I thought about Petit Le Mans, where we were last after an early screw-up, then brought the car as high as third, finished fourth and were one of the cleanest teams. (Thanks, Mick!) That's why I race.

I think about stuff like that when people discuss how the feeling after a loss lasts much longer and hurts much more for them than the feeling after a win feels good. To me that means you need to work on your mindset (but I'm an abject failure at most competitive things, and the people saying that are usually quite successful.

Since you get so much joy from the highs, and you express so much disappointment from the lows, I wonder what your ratio of negative and positive effects internally is, and the ratio of how you tell others about it. Maybe one or both could be adjusted?

Not trying to be a shrink or anything, just thinking out loud. I'm always fascinated by the idea of knowing when to stop doing something that has ups and downs, especially when it's just a hobby or sport or TV series or something.
    Get that weak shit off my track

My wife always asks how my races go. Since roughly two-thirds of them go poorly, naturally, I bitch more than I boast at a ratio of two-to-one; an unfavorable ratio.

I tried Indy Fixed Oval again and finished third with 0x, but only because I was able to avoid the idiots wrecking in front of me this time.

Junior Potato
    Chicagoland this week for the NASCAR serieseses. Let's see if adding 0.5 miles to the track length brings the clean driving out again.

I just did the math for this season's Cam-gets-wrecked rate. It is exactly 50% at the moment, after the first half of the season. It improved over the last few weeks, but it was upwards of 70% after the first 4-5 weeks. Last season's total Cam-gets-wrecked rate was 29% at the end of the season. There were a few slump periods where it was upwards of 75%. When you look at the big picture over time, it has not been so bad over the last two seasons. Back when I was still racing GT races, the overall number was between 60-70% because the quality of the racing in those series is poor.

You are the common denominator in all of these ratios.

I get that it's rarely your fault, but if you don't change your behavior you can't expect the results to change.
    Maybe it's because you're faster than me, but when I was heavy into iRacing I'd get wrecked maybe once or twice a week. You and RWA are in here constantly complaining about others. After reading it for years it comes across as a possible lack of self-awareness and willingness to adjust your racecraft to the quality of the field. I can see that sometimes things are out of your control and that can be hugely frustrating, but this pattern is now occurring over years of sim racing.