Page 159 of 175 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 1748

Thread: iRacing

Junior Potato
    I hardly get wrecked by others in road races. For me itís pretty rare. These days Iím pumping ovals but Iím still very new to the genre of racing. I put my oval wreckin down to my inability to predict as well as a seasoned oval racer would.

Case-in-point, one of the races I outlined above was won by Tyler Garey, a guy with something like 6000 iRating. He started from the back. I recognise that I still have a lot to learn about just turning left.

I have a lot of respect for folks that do ovals well. It's almost like chess, you have to see really far ahead. And the car control is really interesting, like a prolonged crabwalk. Which I think is harder in a simulator than in real life where you can feel the inertia.

Yeah, yeah, I know about the, "What could I have done differently." Let's examine my most recent crashes, starting with the most recent.

1. Indy Oval Atlanta. I was a lap or two down. A faster car caught up to me. I went out of my way to go way high to give them the inside. I was getting out of the way and was letting them go. They opened up an crashed into me before they cleared my car and wrecked us both. What could have I done differently? Let them go morer? What would you have done differently?

2. Same race as 1. Restart after a caution. Car ahead lights up the rear tires and wrecks directly in front of me. There was even a couple of car-lengths gap between us when the green fell. I could not avoid hitting them. What could I have done differently? Just retired and not even raced, I suppose. What would you have done differently?

3. Kamel GT at Hockenheim. I am lapping a slower class car. I got on their inside going into turn one and left a car-width between us. They lost control of their car under braking and put a big dent in my door. I don't see how I could have done anything differently there. Just not pass the slower class cars? What would you have done differently?

4. Same race as 3. A car wrecked and was off-track ahead of me as I exited the hairpin. They were aimed directly at me, and therefore looking directly at me, as I approached. They decided to U-turn anyway and I could not avoid hitting them. In hindsight, I should have slowed down immediately, I suppose. They were on the left side of the track, so I moved right to go around. They cut perpendicular across the track, I guess to try to get off the racing line, but I already moved to go around. I think if any of you were in the same situation, things would have transpired similarly. This driver is experienced enough to know better, but often displays lousy judgement. Alas, I did not know who it was at the time. What would you have done differently?

5. Fixed Porsche Cup at RBR. Green light, I accelerated away from the line and was all the way on the left side of the track. A car ahead was slow off the line, so I checked up a bit to avoid a collision. All of a sudden, I am wrecked from my right. I did not even see it coming. I did not even make it to turn one. What would you have done differently?

You guys know that I go out of my way to be a clean racer. Despite that, trouble seems to find me often. Most of the time, there is nothing I can do, seriously. In my opinion, only in example 4 could I have mitigated the problem. The other examples are just shitty driving from the people around me that cannot be helped.

Yeah, I'm just having trouble understanding it. I've raced with you and haven't had issues, but I generally raced in lower series like Pro Mazda (RIP). Knowing that you do strive to be a clean driver my best thought is that either it's that much harder for faster people, or the quality of the fields has gotten even worse since I've raced.

I'm fast in real life and haven't had issues. I think the low stakes of online racing plays into it since there is nothing to lose but some iRating and the time it takes for the next event to start.

I don't get it either. Obviously, there is no risk in sim racing, so drivers take way more chances. Can I fault someone for simply making a noob mistake, like lighting up the tires on a restart or losing control under braking? They probably learned a lesson from it, but it still sucks to be the victim.

I thought you enjoyed reading our sim racing anecdotes. Should we be telling more positive stories for your entertainment? Clearly the bitching is getting old.
    Last edited by Cam; February 1st, 2022 at 10:07 AM.

I definitely want to hear more of the positive bits. When I watch your streams, there is way more neutral to positive than outright negative.

When I was watching the Bengals/Chiefs game on Sunday at someone's house, it was the first time I had watched a game with a group of people in a while, and I forgot that normal behavior is for people to react vocally after a negative play. If you saw the game, you know there was a lot of that for us in the first half. Eventually I said "there's a whole lot of negativity going around right now. You don't have to say it. You don't have to pretend that what is happening is positive, but the negativity needs to stop.". It made the room quieter for a while, but it also made the party not such a downer, and when we came back it still felt great.

All that to say this: we know the negative is negative, and I think it makes it worse to talk about it, not better. Similarly, talking more about the good things make them even better. And then you can pretend that neutral stuff is almost positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I thought you enjoyed reading our sim racing anecdotes. Should we be telling more positive stories for your entertainment? Clearly the bitching is getting old.
    I worry mostly for your mental health as you spend a lot of time doing this and don't seem to enjoy it.

Your concern is noted and appreciated. :heart:

Tried another Indy Fixed Oval. Lori just happened to come to talk to me as I was starting the race. Green flag. "This looks stressful." she said. Going into the second lap, two cars collide directly ahead of me, wreck and completely block the track. I can't avoid it and my car is completely destroyed. I look at Lori and ask, "What could I have done differently?" She said, "Nothing." Yep. "Want to go for a walk?" she said. "Yes." I replied. We took Levi for a nice quiet walk together as a family. It was nice.

Time to practice for Porsche Cup later.

Can I chip in my 2 cents?
    I do read about your races (Cam, RWA, Yobbo, ecc.) and so on, I'm inspired by the volumes of involvment you have and the many races you get to run... but mostly than not it feels quite sterile both from a spectator point of view and from a interested sim racer debating if coming back to iRacing too.
    What I mean is I get more excited when you compete in some endurance or special events.

Why it is so? I'll try to explain with a practical example.
    Mate of mine, which is also a streamer, got involved in a Codemaster F1 game-related minor championship arranged by some dudes, last year I even subbed for some empty spots in the last 4 races of the season, but the contenders are way out of my league (which is a quite mediocre one).
    They arrange seasons of 20 races, with the real F1 actual teams (20 drivers enroll every season), and do 50% real distance races, about every monday evening - practice, brief qualifying and then the race.
    People have teams, teammates, the group organizers do live streams and comment the races, there's obviously a site with point standings, penalties listing and so on.

That is what I find engaging in sim racing (and motorsports generally): a championship, concrete objectives (winning a race, a championship, battling for points), rivalries, every season most of the grid made of 70% the same people who get to know each other and everyone strenghts and weaknesses, there are heated arguments and camaraderie as well.
    Heck my mate just became the 8th season champion and when all of us, drivers and spectators, thanked the organizers for the whole season I summarized well the positive and engaging vibes with the sentence "Sunday is for F1 racing [the real one on TV], on Monday night there's the Atom Tournament!" which underlines how much the league build its own loyal following in spectators and the amount of interest in contenders as well.
    And I do despise the Codemasters F1 franchise, at the point I did not buy the 2021 iteration (and I'm still convinced I did make the right choice).

What I'm saying, from my subjective point of view, is that there's a concrete narrative lacking.
    Doing race after race of the weekly iRacing combination, lamenting or celebrating a iRating or SR variation, complaining about an unknown driver you will maybe never race against forever or someone else again feels hollow. To me.
    It feels more like a reiterate obsession towards class ranking, iRating and Safety Rating - to the point that it is almost relatable to offline racing against AI or hotlapping just for training.

It's like playing a MMORPG and farming most of the time, leveling and rinse and repeat, compared to playing i.e.: The Witcher 3 with its story, its narrative quests that move forward the story itself.
    When you do GoneBroke Racing stuff or endurances it feels already closer to the level of engagment I'd like to see and also to directly experience, compared to a endless series of races, week after week, just for the sake of driving.

I myself miss dearly to be involved in tournaments, leagues and the whole motorsport feel due to my work crappy always changing shifts that I cannot accomodate for weekly fixed race dates, so I can see the point of iRacing week structure (and that's what Low Fuel Motorsports, and other sites, copied, reinterpreted and is pushing within ACC racing).
    I did not write this piece to be an asshole or throw cheapshots at you guys, I hope you can genuinely see that wasn't my target, but a matter of pondering on what to me means sim racing and what are the feeling I get on some of the sim platforms, and maybe what I see, from a detached point of view, about your approach.
    It is not like one is right and another is wrong, but I just felt I could throw this stream of thought in here, since iRacing is the paramount sim with such a predominant structure although I could have written about this in the general sim racing thread as well.
    Truly hope to not offend anyone with my train of thoughts.
    Last edited by Blerpa; February 1st, 2022 at 04:39 PM.