Page 17 of 225 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

The vets can talk more about it than I can. It is too early to say for me if it is good value. As I mentioned, the races available to me at the moment are limited. Most of the official races require extra content. Therefore, as far as I can tell, it is not possible for me to advance my license at this time. That may change from week to week.

I’ve been racing every day. If that continues, I will get my money’s worth. The novelty may wear off. $60 for a year is the same as my XBL subscription and I certainly get awesome value out of that. I have not touched the Xbox since signing up for iRacing.

Pros (so far):
    -I think it looks good, but I am easy to please.
    -Easy to use.
    -Official races every 30 minutes. Always have a group to race with.
    -Keeps track of all your stats.
    -Good quality cars and tracks.
    -Penalty system encourages clean racing.

Cons:
    -Microtransactions; having to pay for every individual car and track.
    -Limited races available without buying extra content.
    -Penalty system does not work on many racers.
    -Wreckers can easily ruin your ratings.

Administrator
    My experience has been that you definitely get what you pay for. Because things are expensive, there's a lot less variety than there is with something like GT:Sport, but the experience sticking with a single car/series is so good that you don't really mind keeping with it.

I've never had more exciting or exhilarating races in any other sim, nor have I had as much frustration.

I've only driven on one track in real life, Laguna Seca, and can comfortably say that the recreation in iRacing is pretty much exactly right. The VR support is top notch - I sat in a Skip Barber F2000 at Laguna and felt instantly transported back to sitting in the real thing.

I also find that there's a time commitment to actually racing a series that I have been unable to keep up with, and also a mental stress level (mostly around worrying that I'll ruin someone else's race) that I've had a hard time getting past, so I'm mostly just wasting my money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Oddly, it put a 2 at the end of my name. If you are iRacing, look me up.
    I asked for a name change and got it. Now, my first name is Cam and the 2 was removed.

I don't car for oval racing, let alone dirt, but a local track is coming to iRacing. So that's cool. We go once a year just for the spectacle. A friend's Dad and I looked at doing an enduro team but my friends wife is a shrew and it never materialized.

Anyway, it looks cool. Supposedly being the first track with exterior pits is a big deal.

My road SR is now 4.99.

I spectated a race, just to try it. I saw retsmah online and joined about half-way through. I watched him finish on the podium. That’s a cool feature.

Administrator
    A very long time ago I was racing a 'Vette I believe and pulled off a semi decent pass, getting a strong run out of a corner onto a long straight, and then outbraking the other driver at the end of it. Krunch told me he was watching later and cheering as I did it. So that was cool.

I do think iRacing delivers on the investment. If you race enough (which it sounds like you are) you'll get 'iracing dollars' at the end of the season that you can put towards a new track or another car. It's called Participation Bonus or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    -Official races every 30 minutes. Always have a group to race with.
    Just to help manage expectations, the higher up you race in license the longer the interval is between races. The smaller pool of eligible racers means smaller fields, so they start less often. Spec Racer Ford, for instance, starts every two hours on the even hours.

But you can always "race down" in a lower license level race, too. And if other people do the same in that time slot, you'll get matched with them and can still have a fun challenge. Dunno how often that happens these days but in theory the greater the participation the greater the chances of this.