Page 26 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

Administrator
    Good lord, I definitely am remembering why I stopped for a while. I suck. Really bad.

Do you feel like drivers in the same car with a fixed setup are driving away from you like you are in a slower class car? I feel that way sometimes. I watch the replay and as far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything different. Yet, faster dude's car brakes better and accelerates better than mine.

Administrator
    I pretty much always feel like that, but it's really clear that I'm hugely out of practice. I was taking the 488 GTE around Sebring and thinking "Oh man, I might be able to get this under 2 minutes" when turning 2:02 laps. Then I checked what everyone else was doing and they were all in the 1:57s :/

Junior Potato
    Once you reach a certain level of pace, the difference to the fast guys falls to the tiny things. On the brakes a little bit better, a little bit more mid-corner speed, on the power a little bit earlier, a little bit more speed on the straight, and so-on. It all adds up.

It’s down to learning those tiny things, which is why we do lots of practice. Watching replays is a good way to knock a second off your lap time. Can you overlay a ghost in iRacing? Do it if you can. Then while mastering that, you have to learn to do it every lap. And not ever crash or spin out!

I always remind myself that there may be a gap between the players who are 2-3 seconds slower, but that gap is much smaller than the gap to the guys 1.5-2 seconds slower. That next 1/2 second may take weeks or months to overcome, and it might become frustrating and you may never get there. If you do, then there is an enormous gulf to the guys in the next 1/2 a second ahead of you (and infinite time to CudaMan).

I remind myself this because it can quickly stop being fun, and you don’t want it to not be fun! Eventually your iRating will reach a level beyond which is an insurmountable peak. But that’s ok, because the quality of racing you’re having will be fantastic. Just keep racing and having fun in those intense races.

Jeez, I just raced with the worst bunch so far. SLPC race and I was in a Solstice. I was being held up by several drunken MX-5s the first half of the race until I got taken out by... you guessed it, a drunken Mustang. WTF? My SR has taken a big hit this week. Douches.

I need to buy a Mustang. Considering the quality of drivers, I could get a podium every single race.

Administrator
    I did have a surprising amount of fun doing the NASCAR Truck race at Daytona. I didn't bother with any setup, so I didn't qualify well, but just staying out of trouble ended me in 5th. Those things really start dancing around once they get above 150 or so, harder to hang onto than I expected.

I find it kind of funny to see Gran Turismo billboards at Tsukuba. I guess iRacing does not see GT as a competitor.

Junior Potato
    ACC (which features the full Blancpain GT3 license) has a pair of Nissan GT-Rs covered in red PS4 and Gran Turismo liveries.

But I’d be interested to see if the iRacing version of La Sarthe has Forza Motorsport logos at Tetre Rouge, as every game bar Forza itself replaces them with blank signage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d68h...ature=youtu.be

I think this guy was trying to let me pass...?
    Last edited by retsmah; December 18th, 2019 at 06:15 PM.