Page 3 of 225 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

Administrator
    Yeah, that's the general gist. You get points and they're assigned no fault. You hit someone, you get 4 points. You get hit by someone, you still get 4 points. If you put more than half your car off the racing surface, you get 1 point for going off track. Losing control (basically having your slip angle pass 90 degrees) nets you two points. Contact with an object gets you two points as well. They're also non-additive. If you go off track, lose control, then plow into another driver, you get four points rather than seven (1 for off, 2 for loss of control, 4 for contact). You just get the points for the most serious infraction and the others are left out. Also of note, "light" contact gets you a notice, but you get no points. I'd imagine that's mostly for bump drafting in oval races or light taps while passing on a road course.

The incident points then determine your license, and your license determines which series you can race in. With a rookie license, you can only run a few series. As your "safety rating" (which is a rating determined via an algorithm they've kept under wraps, but has something to do with the number of incident points per corner turned over the past 'n' corners where 'n' is a specific limit that applies to everyone, but we don't know what it is) climbs, your license level goes up, opening up new series with faster, harder to control cars. The general idea is that they want you to prove that you can drive somewhat competently in slower cars (not have a ton of T1 crashes, keep it on the track, keep it pointing the right way) before you're allowed to compete at higher levels. You can, however, run private races and test sessions with cars outside your license level, I think the license levels really only apply to the official series.

There's also an iRating that's based on your actual finishes, and that's used to determine who you race against. They have "splits" because often more drivers sign up for a race than can fit in a race "room". The Rookie MX-5 series, for instance, allows up to 10 cars in a race. Last night I think we had 45 people signed up, so they were split into five different rooms based on their irating - trying to keep people of similar skill levels in the same room.

It actually works pretty well. I did a rookie race last night since it was my first time back in many years and even then, we didn't have any T1 crashes and you almost never get intentional wreckers like you do in Forza or what have you. They also have a reporting mechanism where you can save a replay and submit it with a protest for a specific driver, which for the most egregious offenses can get the driver banned from the service.

Thanks for the explanation, sounds well done. I hope Turn10 copies some of that thinking for Forza 7.
    Get that weak shit off my track

And I think a year or two ago, they instituted a policy of max points before you are black flagged. I can't remember if it's a set number, or based on length of the race, or something.

And of course, your SR can go down if you get a lot of incidents. I think if you go below a certain number at the end of the season (every three months, when they do the license upgrade), you can actually be demoted.

But yeah, good luck getting anything like that in Forza or even GT

Forza 6's Leagues were supposed to do something like that, I don't know what really happened in the background though.
    Get that weak shit off my track

The 1x/2x thing kind of bugs me, actually. If they modeled the courses well, offs and and loss of car control would be self-punitive inherently. It's a problem that GT is terrible at, and Project Cars doesn't do very well with it either. I'm okay with the 4x for car contact, though, even the No Fault aspect of it is okayish.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    And I think a year or two ago, they instituted a policy of max points before you are black flagged. I can't remember if it's a set number, or based on length of the race, or something.

And of course, your SR can go down if you get a lot of incidents. I think if you go below a certain number at the end of the season (every three months, when they do the license upgrade), you can actually be demoted.

But yeah, good luck getting anything like that in Forza or even GT
    So, that explains why during the event Race Control told me I had 1 of 17x incident points. I guess you hit 17 and you sit out the race.

Makes sense, I've definitely seen drivers who, upon racking up 20+ points, basically just give up and start driving like complete asshats.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    The 1x/2x thing kind of bugs me, actually. If they modeled the courses well, offs and and loss of car control would be self-punitive inherently. It's a problem that GT is terrible at, and Project Cars doesn't do very well with it either. I'm okay with the 4x for car contact, though, even the No Fault aspect of it is okayish.
    I think the idea is that it's not supposed to be punishing, it's just supposed to help determine whether you're good enough at car control to safely race more difficult cars, making it more likely that higher level series have clean races. I also see it as a tool to figure out how well I'm able to recognize my limits and stay under them. I could have turned faster laps and often wanted to when I would have a guy right on my tail - it's one of the first races in a long time where I didn't let that get to me and just made sure to hit my marks and drive at a pace I could maintain without making mistakes. I think my average laptime in the actual race was about 1.6 seconds slower than my qualifying time, but I ended up third because I wasn't trying to turn qualifying laps for the entire race and was one of the few that didn't crash out. The guy in 4th qualified in 1st and was the only driver to turn in a sub 1 minute lap, but racked up 11 incident points presumably because he tried to go faster than he could reliably go for 20 laps straight.

In the end, I don't think it affects me all that much because I've got an A license and do almost all of my racing in C level or lower, I just have more fun in those series (probably because despite my license, I'm not good enough to race at a competitive speed in those cars without fucking up). I do think they model it well enough that the 1x/2x things are self-punitive when it comes to iRating though.

Yeah, I don't have a solution myself so I don't complain about it much. Just brought it up broadly in conversation. The incident counter thing is weird because it's meant, as you said, to keep drivers straight. It's part of a broader tool. I just remember doing TTs in my oval stuff and being 8 laps into the 10 lap window and getting 1x because my rear quarter brushed a wall. A brush that ended up tanking my time anyway.

It has to be tough for them. I mean, it's possible that breaking out the different goals that tool attempts to achieve into smaller tools would work. But then the drivers would get fatigued a bit by having more metrics to deal with. Tough situation.

Administrator
    It does. I've often felt like it's overly strict as well, but then I think about the fact that I was able to go three-wide into T1 at Lime Rock and trust that the two guys inside me weren't going to hit me. It's the only one of these so far that I felt like actually worked, even if it really feels unfair sometimes.

Administrator
    It's been years now, and my internet connection is much faster, my computer has a wired connection to the router, and the computer itself is faster. Somehow, I still have my latency graph in the yellow.

Also, I'm incredibly slow at Okayama. About 2 seconds off the pace. I'll take my 0 incidents, though.