Page 4 of 225 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: iRacing

I ended up not registering.

My computer area is still under a pile of furniture. Moving takes forever.

Administrator
    I'm enjoying myself, another friend of mine who re-upped isn't and plans to let it lapse after 3 months. I'm sure you'll get another chance soon enough to get a discount.

I took the CTS-V out at Okayama for a bit. That car is way too entertaining. Really stable under braking with good turn-in, then progressive oversteer under power on corner exit. Rear visibility ain't so great with the Rift (it makes the rear-view monitor not so useful), but lots of fun to drive.

Administrator
    I suuuuuuck. 3 seconds off the pace in the ND MX-5 at Laguna. Ouch.

Also:

I see some money going out the door.

Yeah, that's awesome. Really need to find my stuff.

Oh, man, those first look videos are awesome. Great commentary and setup. And even the editing between the live commentary and the replay for different views is a nice touch.
    Last edited by GreatScawt; June 7th, 2017 at 06:50 AM.

Administrator
    Went nuts getting stuff to get the 15% discount on six items. Picked up the AMG SLS GT3, Ford GT GTE and Ferrari 488 GTE, then Monza, Interlagos, and Le Mans. Le Mans takes *forever* to load, and also drops my framerate, so annoyingly it looks like I'll have to lower my settings for it.

Only took the Ferrari out for a few laps at Le Mans. It drives really nicely, but it's super easy to lock up the brakes if you don't ease into them. If I slowly apply brake pressure it can brake really well, but if I go too fast the fronts lock almost immediately.

Last time I checked I was 16th in the session, not sure how I was doing among the GTE cars (the Acura LMP-ish car was also in there as a different class).

I'm worried that my system is aging too much. It was really robust in 2012 but that was five years ago, yikes. Spa was what eventually killed my earlier rig. Might be LeMans this time.

Do they update the models and textures as iRacing progresses? Are there like huge 2-yr comprehensive updates where they overhaul? Because the game looks pretty great for today's standards. And it's what... an 8 year old game?

I think so. I've had system updates come in and they list out what they're doing and often there are updates to the cars themselves, not just the tracks and sim. I assume they're textures being updated.

The sim was built on the NASCAR 2003 engine so, yeah, it's held up well all things considered.

Administrator
    Yeah, Le Mans was dropping my framerates and I've got a GTX 1080 in there. The Rift was saying it was dropping to 45fps, which means it starts trying to "guess" at the missing frames to keep a perceived 90fps, as apparently that's what you need to not get VR sickness. That said, I only noticed because the FPS meter said 45, it looked fine to me.

And the track is gorgeous.