Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Work/Career Question

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    But 50%, holy shit son.
    He's gotta be going from $200K to $100K.

I took what was basically a 1/3 pay cut to go where I am now. Work enough hours and the money is the same and I am marginally happier.

Well yeah, a 50% pay-cut shows the value of absolutes. 50% of US$2-3mil/yr (including taxes)? That shouldn't be a MAJOR problem. 50% of US$500K/yr (including taxes) is a different story.

I could see taking a cut in pay to move elsewhere (which I know I feel like I'm looking to do), but I feel like I'm just joining the chorus saying that taking such a cut seems a bit much. I would think there'd have to be a good guarantee that there'd be good upward potential to take such an initial cut in pay.

Pretty much echoing what others have said, 50% is a big, nay HUGE drop in wages. You would have to consider a self inflicted frontal lobotomy or going to work as valid choices to consider dropping 50%. You either really, REALLY hate your current job or are just blinded by the old vs new.

Quote Originally Posted by shakes View Post
    So...would you take a 50% cut in pay for a 50% better job?? And would you stick with the devil you know (a job you pretty much hate) versus going with the devil you don't(a new job that could be way better or far worse)?
    As someone who doesn't particularly enjoy their job, heck no. I'm happy leaving my job behind, can easily switch off from it and enjoy my spending my salary. Learn to live with the hate, and enjoy the time you spend away from it more. Not sure I could afford take a 50% salary cut anyway.

50% is "I'm cutting ties and moving halfway across the world to [INSERT DREAM TO BE CHASED HERE]", not "I want to switch career paths within the same place." That is a LOT of money.

Sit down and think about your skills and where you want your career to go. The next job you take probably won't be the last one you ever take, so even with "room to grow" think about the path it'll lead down. I guess taking one step forward either personally or professionally with each move is the goal.