Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work/Career Question

Work/Career Question

I don't really enjoy my current job. I work at a Hyundai dealership as the Financial Services Manager. I get people financed, sell them loan insurance, extended warranties and rust protection products. Other than the money I make, there's nothing about it that makes me say "I love my job". The hours are long and the stress is pretty crazy most of the time. Although there are days where its just smooth sailing, for the most part its pressure, pressure and more pressure. Upper management are jerks who care about nothing except the bottom line and saving their own asses. Back in the fall, I actually thought I was going to get fired (they sent me home because I was late for a sales meeting....that alone should give you an idea of the jerks I have to work for). I took the day they sent me home to fill out job applications and send out resumes. Nothing ever came of it and things sort of smoothed themselves out at work so I kept working, made it look like I was putting in 'extra effort', yada yada yada.

Last week, I got a call from one of the banks for an interview. The position is entry level (two steps above being a teller) and it'd pay roughly half of what I'm making now. HOWEVER, its within a bank so there are a lot of opportunities to move up the ladder. So...would you take a 50% cut in pay for a 50% better job?? And would you stick with the devil you know (a job you pretty much hate) versus going with the devil you don't(a new job that could be way better or far worse)?

It depends. Mainly on what the actual numbers are. I'm not asking you to disclose that, but if you can afford it without hardship, I think I'd take it. Especially if you think you can be back where you are now financially within a reasonable time.

For example, if i were making $50k/year, I wouldn't go down to $25k/yr. If I was making 100k? I'd look at my obligations first, but living on 50k could certainly be worth it for a happier job, and one with more potential.

Ask yourself, is what you will lose with that 50% cut in pay making you happy enough outside of your job to make up for the problems your job causes you.

Honestly, it depends on how unhappy the current job is making you, and if the new job will pay enough to provide for a comfortable standard of living, which only you can answer.

The potential job would pay just enough to cover living expenses. It'd be very tight, but we wouldn't be in a position where we're losing money.

What opportunities does the job at the bank open up and where could you be in 5 years time compared to where you could be with the current job?

There aren't really any upward opportunities with my current job. I can move up to sales manager (and I wouldn't take it, his hours and stress levels are worse than mine) or become finance manager at a bigger/busier dealership and make more money. With the bank, I can either move into the investment advisor side of things or become branch manager (they also make around what I make currently) or some other opportunity. We have a number of bank reps that come to the dealership to generate finance business...I could see myself doing that. One of my biggest concerns is how long I'd have to wait for a better opportunity at the bank. I could survive a year at 50% pay, but I couldn't last much longer than that.

Basically, the bank offers better benefits, a real pension, better hours and better chances of being promoted, and more things to get promoted to. The dealership offers a more lucrative pay plan, and the chance to be around something thats exciting and dynamic...its not like I'm selling office furniture or dishwashers...I'm around new cars all day long.

Don't expect the bank to be any happier place to work.

I thought you were a mortgage guy.

I was in mortgages for a while but got out. Ive been doing the car thing now for about at year and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
    Don't expect the bank to be any happier place to work.
    I'm gonna go with this.