Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Android tablet computing (Nexus and cetera)

I'm thinking about a tablet (you may have seen me annoying people in the iPad thread too). I like the idea of the Note 10.1 2014 as an alternative to the iPad, but from what I understand you can't use it (in the US at least) on anything but WiFi. Is this correct? Or can I go to AT&T and start a data plan and get a sim, plug it in and boom, cell connectivity? I don't see any different versions with cell network capabilities. If they're are seperate versions, do they even sell them in the US?
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; February 23rd, 2014 at 05:29 PM.

It's very possible Samsung didn't get any carrier deals in the US for the 10.1, so they didn't bother selling it here. The American version is not the same as the international version, from the cell capabilities to the eight core processor the international version gets vs the quad core that we get.

Checking Best Buy, I only see Wi-Fi versions :-/ I'm not sure what the best options are for 10" segment, the Nexus 10 is older and due for a replacement.
    Get that weak shit off my track

So I go to load stuff onto the SD card on my ICS phone, expecting to just plug it in as a USB device, and instead learn about MTP.

My immediate solution was to remove the card from the phone and use a card reader.

Strange thing was the graphical browser opened up a window showing the device and some of its contents, but it wasn't visibly mounted anywhere. If I can't chdir to it, it's not real.

I'm getting all my old Android tablets and phones to hit up my WCG/BOINC group. GO GO GO

Here's on my (Ubuntu 12,04 (Linux)) desktop a running emulation of a 1280x720 Android 4.2 tablet. Runs reliably on my new more powerful desktop.

I tried to use the browser running there to do the upload, but it was a no-go. It's difficult because I don't seem to be able to cut-and-paste into the emulator, and it seemed that perhaps also the Browser didn't actually have the permissions required to save a temporary copy if I fetched the pictures via a URL.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SportWagon; February 28th, 2014 at 01:50 PM.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/03/g...s-ios-tablets/

Android now owns the Tablet market as well as the Mobile Phone market. Almost doubling up iOS's share. Google now owns the mobile markets much like Microsoft owns the PC market.

Correction, Samsung owns the mobile and tablet market. And TVs, I think.

19.1% for Samsung out of the 62% for Android total leaves a lot of room for other Android manufacturers, even if Samsung is the biggest.

They just need to come out with one more size variant, THEN they'll be dominant.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I don't get why they have the Tab Pro 10.1 AND the Note 10.1. THey're the same except the pen (and the Pro has Kit Kat, but just bc it's a few months newer).

Also bring the damn mobile version of the Note here, dammit.