Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Android tablet computing (Nexus and cetera)

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Google Sky Map is surprisingly fast on this thing. Handy while checking to make sure I was really looking at Mars tonight.

Amazon Prime Instant Video is not available on Android devices, except of course, Kindle Fires. iPad? Yes. iPod? Yes. Just not Android unless it's a Kindle.

Booo Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by es nes View Post
    Is it possible to install an older version of an app? I've an older galaxy tab 10.1 and just did a restore to default settings and now I can't download Netflix since it says its not compatible with my version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Only if you can find the ripped apk online.
    Before doing the restore, you might have been able to use the following app from play.google.com to create your own copy of the old .apk
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...k.apkextractor

(Or, even better, if you have access to another similarly obsolescent device with Netflix installed, use it now).

But I wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong when trying to use that extractor app on an installed Netflix app.

There are about half-a-dozen similar apk extractor apps, but the one above seems to float to the top. I think some of the others might allow better "batching" capability however. (E.g. so you could have extracted *all* your .apk before restoring).

But it's not that difficult to find lots of different netflix.apk on the web, but assessing the trustworthiness of the source would be easier if you had made your own copy.
    Last edited by SportWagon; May 5th, 2014 at 09:07 AM.

Actually I'd put https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...processmanager on nearly all my devices, but only just noticed that one of its facilities is "backup apps" (also "restore apps") which quickly creates a nice directory containing an APK for each app on your phone. Easily transferred to the external SD card (well actually it's tricky with my broken touch screen; I actually eventually ssh'd in via an old version of https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....apps.sshdroid and used command-line to do it), and then to home computer and Internet.

Android Assistant seemed to get things overlooked by the other alternative; more system apps, and also codecs for video players.

Hmm. I have 4.4.2 Kit Kat but Samsung has not done a port of the Android Runtime for this device so I'm still stuck with Dalvik. Boo.

I have 4.4.4 on my Motorola Moto G but seemingly some apps do not work well with ART and can send the device randomly in bootloop. So, for the time being, I'm keeping Dalvik on my phone, especially since ART eats up 500MB of physical memory and I've the 8GB model (only 5.5 free space at phone first boot - right now around 2.5GB free).
    I'll wait patiently for Android L by which ART will be the one and only runtime on the system.

Sony announced the Z3 Tablet Compact, their first 8" tablet (I think). Headlining new feature is PS4 remote play.

http://gizmodo.com/sony-xperia-z3-ta...-yo-1630037915
    Get that weak shit off my track

Be interested in anyones positive experience about photo editing apps/software on their android tablet. I've got a Samsung Tab 8.0 that I'd like to start using in this manor rather than using my laptop.

Well, the best experience I've had is with Lightroom Mobile, but that's only available on the ipad, and it's only for certain things.