Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple itablet icomputing (iPad and derivatives)

Apple itablet icomputing (iPad and derivatives)

I've been thinking of getting a new Retina iPad Mini, simply because I have to upgrade my phone (current one is dying) and I'm uncomfortable with having a phone that's faster/nicer than my tablet

So stupid.

Wanna Fight?
    I got a 128GB Air a couple of months back. Because want.

I don't know if it'll bother the photographer part of your brain, but the Retina Mini has a severely reduced colour gamut when compared to the Air and previous full-size iPads. It was noticeable even under the harsh Apple Store lights when I went and bought my Air, with everything (although especially blues) looking all washed out and shite.
    Last edited by Rob; January 22nd, 2014 at 03:43 AM.

Wait, what happened? Wasn't there a single tablet thread?

And yes, that would bother the photographer part of my brain... that's good to know. Hrm...

Yeah, but we didn't want your FruitCo stuff comingling with the poseur nerd stuff and generic made in China stuff, so decisions had to be made.

Edit: Also, what Rob said. I think the Mini is not so good. If you want small or budget, buy a Kindle or a Venue. If you want FruitCo stuff, buy an Air - it's pretty darned decent (and awesomely expensive!)

I have a first generation Mini, and I rather enjoy it. But I guess I have bad taste.

That size (7" or so) is the right size for general tablet use, but not for SRS BSNS work. Too bad Jobs took too long to realise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I have a first generation Mini, and I rather enjoy it. But I guess I have bad taste.
    I don't think it's a matter of taste... good or bad. But go play with an Air, and go play with a new Mini - you'll see the difference. When the Mini came out it was a smaller iPad at a reduced cost, and that was fine. But held up next to the Air, it really seems like Apple shuffled the Mini off to the b-squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Wait, what happened? Wasn't there a single tablet thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Yeah, but we didn't want your FruitCo stuff comingling with the poseur nerd stuff and generic made in China stuff, so decisions had to be made.

!)
    Something like that.
    Whoomah!

I had an iPad and iPad 2... now a Mini. I enjoy the Mini much more. I don't see why larger is automatically better, unless you're saying the Mini sucks just because the screen isn't as good as the Air (but reviews still show it as better than many tablets).

Wanna Fight?
    I've had the 2 and the 3 and went in with an open mind since the new mini is effectively identical to the Air. The cash saving on the mini doesn't offset the dodgy looking colours. The screen is worse than the 3 and 4 too.

The Air is lighter than the 4 as well. Narrower bezels also cut down on the bulk.