Thread: Car Audio.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Got back together with Joying. They are definitely angling to do nothing, but sticking with it so I'm not upset.

This afternoon I decided to take apart the head unit, and found a tiny cable is likely the issue with the display. The mainboard connects to a daughterboard with a small, delicate cable that has obvious physical damage. Messing with this cable alternately scrambles and unscrambles the display. I tried flattening it and reinstalling it, but no dice - little jolts scramble the display. I now understand the previous and apparently random problems, so that's progress. I was able to adjust it so that I could do a firmware update hoping to restore the antenna function but no dice. Still no antenna. Everything else works great, though. Being the contingency thinker I am, I am trying to decide whether I'd be okay with a new cable and a discount in exchange for a non-functioning antenna trigger. I could use the amp trigger - all I lose is the ability to lower the antenna when not listening to the radio. It's not world-ending - lots of stereos are like that.

My new bench power supply is awesome. Set at 14v I was able to run the stereo indoors in a science-y way. At full tilt - installing firmware for example - power consumption maxes out at <.8a, which is not much. It generally sits around .4 or .5a. I assume if the speakers were connected that number would go up, but at "idle" that's not a lot of power. When turned off - which isn't actually "off" but "sleep," consumption is .008a at 14v. It's tangibly more than none, but not a lot. It's kind of impressive that an instant-on Intel CPU can "run" at that power. I was also able to take some temp readings. The heat sink (it's passively cooled) hangs out at 90F pretty much non-stop, and I'm not sure whether that goes up with the amp running. That's well within the CPU's tolerance, but I do worry a bit about it staying within tolerances when it's 140 degrees in the cabin. Once this is sorted, I may install a small fan to circulate air. There's plenty of room to do that.

I am waiting for the next step from Joying, but it was a productive night. I'm tired now though.

Edit: I like this relationship I have with the seller. They sent me a picture of the mainboard and highlighted a leg of a voltage regulator and asked for a meter at that spot. "Can you test here?" Hells yeah I can. Let's solve this. Far better than a defective Pioneer stereo I got where Pioneer lead with "Have you connected it to both power and negative ground?"
    Last edited by thesameguy; October 9th, 2017 at 08:34 PM.