Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Audio.

As the old McIntosh speakers had all cracked from old age, yesterday I installed Morel Virtus 6's in the front of the Legacy and Coax Pulses in the back. I was worried that they'd change the sound signature to something I didn't like, but I am pretty pleased with the result. They have more power at high volumes, and the treble is particularly good, although a bit of subtlety appears to have been lost at low volumes. Imaging seems to be more centre-focused than previously, in that I think the stereo imaging was previously slightly better, but overall at least I can blast stuff at high volumes without hearing the "tsss tsss" of the cracked speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    OIC!

There are lots of hacks for the Jag, but none of them very good. The issue is that the head unit is just a radio and a tape player. All the brains and amps are in the trunk. It's difficult to divorce or insert parts in the middle or the end, and like many cars the spot where the head unit is isn't flat or square. It's a bloody disaster.
    BTW, if the head unit of the Jag supports a cd changer that could be your "in."
    Becker retrofits AUX IN's on the old 90s stereos for German cars it supplied. It's just a matter of finding our who the OE supplier is and if they have a hack for an AUX IN.

I am sure you have already done this, but have ya checked PAC audio?

The system is Alpine, 1st gen AI-Net with a slightly modified (maybe dumbed down) protocol. Aux in is not a problem, which is why the Motorola Bluetooth hack works. But I don't want shitty v1/v2 Bluetooth, music coming out of that sounds terrible and I find BT car audio particularly irksome as I tend to make calls where I'm going to spend a lot of time on hold in the car... Having the music stop because you're on hold with Comcast for an hour sucks balls. I really prefer to use a BT headset for calls anyway - better clarity and privacy - which precludes pairing the phone to the car anyway. Jeez, that's a roundabout way of saying I really don't want to use BT for audio, or my phone for audio. I want a USB port, and that's the only thing that's gonna make me happy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BO8O9XQ/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Parking this for future consideration.
    Whoomah!

That's neat. That's something that could very well find a home in the Fiero or the SPG.

Edit: ROFL. I have some points at Crutchfield from that Tahoe AV purchase - but they want $250 for this thing! As if!

Boom boom, shake shake the room
    Get that weak shit off my track

Hmm, neat.

In other news, I am eventually going to be getting the Denali switched over to a double din stereo with reverse camera, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pl8ster View Post
    Never mind that most of them are designed such that upgrading is all but impossible.

Dafuc would I replace this with? Good thing I am satisfied with it as is.

But that Jag thing, man, that's a different kind of misery. Good luck with that, and I mean that sincerely.
    Install kit replaces the whole facia like so. I have no idea how or whether they integrate with the stock display above the radio--likely not!
    Whoomah!

So we inherited a 2006 Corolla that my son will drive when he gets his license early next year, which is pretty awesome. It's my wife's grandfather's old car that my mother-in-law has been stashing in her garage for the last couple of years (less than 5k miles (!!!!), she just had it checked out mechanically, we're replacing the tires). But how is my son, who currently uses our home Wi-Fi to listen to Spotify, going to listen to music in the car? We are planning to replace the head unit and speakers for him for Christmas, but I guess he's going to have to fire up that iPod Touch and start buying songs on iTunes, because streaming music in the car would kill our data plan, and I don't know how much of my music collection would appeal to him in order to go the 'flash drive' route that works really well for me. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to start buying CDs at this point
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid