Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Audio.

Someday I might get one of those too, but I never have. Partly because my cars are such imperfect listening environments (loud exhaust, wind noise, bad door acoustics, whatever).

-

I recently discovered something about iPod playback that I don't like. In quiet passages, if I put my head close to a speaker I can hear a hiss and subtle pops. Kind of like a cross between cassette tape hiss and vinyl record pops. This is with my iPod Touch 4th Gen hooked up to a Pioneer/Premier deck directly via USB. What giveth? I discovered it after putting the new speakers in my blue Z, then I checked the MR2 Turbo and it happens there too.

It could be a result of compression causing audible artifacts with the amp, or it could be an impedance problem between amp and speaker. If it only happens with USB connections, it's probably a compression artifact. I have noticed that type of a thing with Bluetooth streaming, but it's to be expected (since "silence" is still an open connection that results in the amp passing signal). I'll have to compare stereos in USB mode and see if I get it there as well.

The reason for the amp in the SPG is that 14w RMS on the Pioneer is just killing me. There is very little speaker response, and I hate having the volume at 50%+ just to hear anything from the speakers while driving. Eventually, I want to do a custom speaker installation in it (5.25" components in the doors/side panels) and an amp to drive that, but in the short term I can definitely benefit from the extra wattage. In the Falcon, I am still mostly in favor of powering speakers with an amp connected to some sort of non-standard source, like an MP3 player or motorcycle style receiver. I don't have a good place to put a traditional head in that car - and don't want to hack something in.

Hmm, this reduced depth is intriguing to me. I took those awful Sunpro gauges out of the truck, and found that the sunglass pocket had been completely cut out. Great job, fucking up a dash part to install three shitty gauges, one of which never got hooked up (voltmeter) and one that they just laid the temp probe NEXT TO THE RADIATOR HOSE!!!

So, I figured I'd move my stereo up to that pocket. No dice. It's slightly wider than DIN, and too shallow for a standard HU. Doing some research online, it appears you have to hack the hell out of the inside of the dash to make the HU go there. So now I see I have two options:

- Try this new shallow HU tsg posted, knowing that I've yet to see an install up there that didn't look like ass (but also wasn't with a shallow HU) and then wondering what to do with the space under the dash where the stereo usually goes
    - Buy a replacement dash piece (over $100 new but I found a nice used one for $50 including shipping), a new lower double DIN stereo box (since the current stereo install was a CF down there too), and a double DIN stereo since I abhor jerry-rigged stereo setups

I hate to blow a ton of money on this. On the other hand, I hate doing crap like this twice. I could just put this shallow HU in the lower space, but I really want something to fill in the rest that looks as factory as possible.
    Last edited by KillerB; February 18th, 2014 at 06:13 PM.

The lower slot is for the equalizer, duh.
    Whoomah!

Or SunPro gauges in a proper DIN mount!

cd changer

LOL I don't listen to CDs anymore.

You might if you had a changer.

It would help for efficiently listening to your album collection a little at time instead of all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    It would help for efficiently listening to your album collection a little at time instead of all at once.
    Best...use...ever.