Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Audio.

umm....take it apart and eliminate the LED.

Tried, but it's sealed shut. I don't think it would survive the dismantling and still be panel mountable. I was hoping it was just clipped or screwed shut, but no such luck. Believe you me, when something doesn't work my first reaction is to dismantle it.

Lol, I forgot who I was talking to.

Sometimes I dismantle things even when they're not broken.

I'm going with the Pioneer x560bt for the Southwind, the same stereo I put in the Benz. It's $105 on Amazon, which is bloody cheap. I'll probably need an amp which offsets the savings vs the JVC, but $250 for 50w+ RMS or $190 for 22w RMS makes the extra $60 seem reasonably worth it. These are literally the only two currently made stereos with rear aux inputs.

I am slightly torn on speakers - I have zero depth limitations but minor height limitations due to the grills. I also have significant financial limitations - I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on these speakers. I think it's down to either JBL or Infinity Reference

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refer...ference+6032si

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO628-6-5...rds=jbl+gto629

I'm going to see how the thing sounds with stereo power before investing in an amp as the current setup is decent, but I think I'm going to want an amp. I do have an ancient and gigantic 5-channel Sony in the garage I might be able to use... Crazy as it sounds, it may not fit. Well, may not fit without a LOT of work.

Miracle of miracles, not only does Ye Olde Sony Ampe *barely* fit in one of the overhead compartments, but there is a wire channel running up the a-pillar right to it. I think I'm going to roll with it, as I just can't see ever using this amp again - it has an 11x17 footprint, which is *ginormous* by modern standards, especially given its modest 4x40+100w output. Yeah, that's right - it's a 5-channel amp. Makes me want to wall off the adjacent compartment and use it to drive an 8" mid/sub, but I'm not going to. I am running out of energy on this project.

This is the amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zSkggEk...XM-405EQX.html

I am now seriously thinking about ganking the stereo out of the SPG. It's overkill feature-wise for this application, but OTOH I'm always up for buying a new stereo, and the newness more or less gets wasted in the Southwind.

Scratch that - the stereo in the SPG has a front aux in. DOH!

I ended up going with these speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...d+fosgate+p165

ATM, I don't remember why I chose them over the Infinity or JBLs.

cause they are cheap...

They're the same price as the other two - all about $50/pr. The next jump in quality brought things up to $100/pr, and I just can't believe that price bump would be justified in the listening environment I'm talking about.

It isn't. I keep tossing the idea of doing a complete system in the Yukon. Then I realise that it is a winter "beater" and a tow rig. No sense in wasting 1-2k on a great stereo setup when the shitty bose will do.

I just need a better HU