Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Model kits

What?! Buying several tiny jars of paint (over time!) is clearly the most economical method!

Oh snap! Maybe I've been doing it wrong! Maybe that's why model building always turns into a major financial pain. I'll have to give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500 View Post
    tigeraid - I remember those now, those are awesome! (we should have that bow-down-and-grovel smiley!)

I see no reason why they shouldn't be in this thread? Except everybody else would feel useless and inadequate, of course...
    What brands are those cars?
    Various, most kits are either Tamiya or Revell or AMT. Some, like the wagons, are one-off or custom resin castings that use existing kits as the chassis.

It also looks like he's disabled the "EDIT" function on the old forum, so I can't cut/paste. I'm faaaaar too lazy to repost all of them...

So just the best ones?

Superb!

Quote Originally Posted by M4FFU View Post
    Keep us posted!
    Not much since my previous post, I'm afraid.

The pic in my first post was quite early in the progress. I have since assembled the fuselage and the wings, but not the wings to the fuselage.

Parts of the kit have fit together surprisingly well, others not so much.
    Getting the engine to fit just right was a bit of a challenge, and getting the exhausts to fit through the engine frame required some modification. Stuff like that.

The kit has moving landing gear. One of the sides had a little too much resistance, and of course it snapped. I felt a little like Calvin in the first post at this point.
    I've managed to fix it since, but there was a need for some adjustment there too, especially with the landing gear covers.

I'm on the home stretch with the assembly, and then it's on to painting the big surfaces.

I dread fitting the wings though, as a dry fit has revealed that violence and vigour might be called for, and probably a liberal amount of putty afterwards. I don't think the tipp-ex that is used for small cracks will do the job here.

So, this has been an on and off affair.

The Spitfire is getting there, slowly, but I have a couple of side projects for when paint dries, etc.

One of these is a 1/48 Mitsubishi Raiden. It was begun ages ago, when I tried to make my kits look pretty, but never really finished.

The decals are lost, so what you see is painted on with home made stencils.

Did I go overboard in making it look weary? Maybe, but those japanese aircraft didn't look pretty towards the end of the war.

Pre:
    http://imgur.com/i83JJLW

(I'm posting from my phone, so just the links)

DUDE!!!!!!

that looks fucking amazing.

Yeah it does - nice work!

Thanks guys.

The Raiden has been kind of a mule for some of my ideas, as well as a test bed to come to terms with that damn Tamiya acrylic paint (just give in and get the official thinner, mix half and half, use several layers), so various types of paint has been on and off it. As a result, some detail has disappeared along the way. Plus, there's plenty of creative license.
    If this was a modelling forum, you would all flame me for using the wrong shade of green.

Anyway, it's not really finished yet, still some stuff left to do.
    Last edited by Fiat500; July 6th, 2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: smileys!

Awesome!

I remember how expensive Humbrol model paints were. 25 cents for a little tin, when Testor's was only 12 cents (for a slightly smaller bottle). But Humbrol was a far superior product, at least for flat colours.