Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: \m/ METAL \m/

Junior Potato
    What a lovely song. I’ve yet to see Townsend live and I must fix that one of these days.

I love prog but don’t rarely do any deep dives into it, as sometimes it’s just too darn boring for my ears. But there’s one artist that I can turn to all the time and always have a good time, and that’s Steven Wilson.

I’ve been a fan of his since the heady days of Porcupine Tree’s 2nd-last album, Fear Of A Blank Planet (and if you can find the 5.1 mix of it, jump on it because it’s awesome). I even saw them live when they toured on that album. They played it start-to-finish during the first half of the gig, and in their 2nd set they played material from PT’s extensive back catalogue. But most of it went over my head, because I wasn’t that familiar with the band at the time. What a waste!

But yeah, Steven Wilson. Awesome. He’s such a music nerd, that the sound of most of his work sounds far better than the output that has been through the hands of dedicated producers and mixers. Anyone who can make a jazz flute work in the context of a live prog rock performance derserves a big thumbs-up in my opinion.

I found Steve Wilson via Opeth's Damnation album ... and I think he produced Blackwater Park as well?

Anyway, yeah, Fear of a Blank Planet is flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndMoparMan View Post
    Regardless of one's opinion of Dave and his...nature, it's gotta be so cool to sit and play some absolute classic Megadeth songs with the band.

And he's not half bad!
    Whoomah!

My brother-in-law gave me a copy of Fear of a Blank Planet shortly after it came out, and it instantly was one of my favorite albums. I since then dove more into PT's discography, grabbing the albums from Absentia on. Then I made a Porcupine Tree channel on Pandora. It' pretty much the only thing I listen to.

Also, I'm going to see Coheed & Cambria tomorrow night. They've started releasing some new material that gets back into their Amory Wars prog-concept album stuff. Looking forward to hearing it live.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; July 5th, 2018 at 08:35 PM.

Oldish video I just ran across thanks tot he Hodor vid:

I...did not expect that.
    Whoomah!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Also, I'm going to see Coheed & Cambria tomorrow night. They've started releasing some new material that gets back into their Amory Wars prog-concept album stuff. Looking forward to hearing it live.
    Jealous!

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    /video

I...did not expect that.
    They must be five-star experts at Rock Band.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Jealous!
    Also just found out a friend from middle/high school will be there too. It will be awesome to catch up with him.

Administrator
    Hahah, yeah, sounds like solid reasoning.

Epic setlist. Mostly from SSTB and IKSSE:3.