Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: \m/ METAL \m/

Administrator
    Wow, that's very southern rock combined with Bruce's singing.

Saw a few "Lynyrd Maiden" comments!

I dont mind it, but hope the rest of the album isnt like this.

Administrator
    Yeah, not against it by any means (though Bruce's voice does sound a little strained, as one might expect it would after all these years). I enjoyed it.

So was looking at some of my playlists, many of which are collections of songs for reference rather than playing. One is "band extremes" where I pick two songs that are at the end of the range of styles/pace/aggression by bands. Even better if off the same album.
    eg
    Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden, Remember Tomorrow
    Megadeth - Mechanix, Toute Le Monde
    Testament - Trial by Fire, The Ballad (actually they have several ballad songs I love, to go with mostly thrash)

And then was looking at a website that was talking about things fans hate - like bands that change style.
    Had a great quote along the lines of "change is inevitable for any band not named Motorhead"

So anyone got any pairs of songs that they like but to the uninitiated wouldn't seem to the be the same band?

Administrator
    I feel this is just going to be a list of metal bands that had ballads. Like "Nothing Else Matters" vs. almost anything else Metallica had done at that point, or Guns 'n' Roses doing November Rain. Extreme's "More Than Words" is maybe one of my most hated songs, but definitely doesn't sound like the rest of their work. Silent Lucidity is similarly a horrible song and sounds nothing like anything on Operation:Mindcrime that came before it.

Administrator
    Oh, I could say Faith No More's "Surprise! You're Dead!" vs. their cover of "Easy (like Sunday morning)".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Extreme's "More Than Words"...
    *twitches*

Administrator
    Oh man, it's like nails being driven into my ears. Just vile stuff.

I don’t actually dislike it that much. It’s more everything else that goes with it. Such as it being the only song that many people knew/know how to play on the guitar, for obvious reasons.

Amusingly enough, I never learnt how to play it. My acoustic Stairway and Tears in Heaven weren’t too bad, though.

Junior Potato
    Hey I like Silent Lucidity! Not least because it has some sweet double-neck guitar action for the solo.

Reminds me that I need to explore Queensr˙che's early catalogue a lot more deeply. I saw them when they toured Australia in the mid-2000s, you know?