Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: \m/ METAL \m/

Mongolian. Metal.

Junior Potato
    Nobody:

Opeth: our new album will be released in both Swedish and English versions

Last album I have by Opeth was Heritage, and I wasn't that happy with it. Did get to see them at the Georgia Theater when they were on tour for it, though. Was rather suprizing a band like that coming to Athens.

Don't see this mentioned anywhere else, but new Tool album on 8/30

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Ok, Metallica first threatened their fans with jail when, 20 years ago, they used file sharing services and now they got together with the market leading concert promoter to, basically, scalp concert tickets against the interests of, again, their fans.

"After seeing the volume of secondary transactions for that show and the benefit being captured by brokers," Live Nation said in its statement, "the independent consultant [DiCioccio] worked with Live Nation on a unique distribution strategy that used the secondary market as a sales distribution channel for select high-end tickets."
    acket.

I dont have a problem with auctioning tickets to concerts.
    As long as it is only some of them. And certainly for the better seats why not? If the concert is sold out and people are reselling, shouldnt the extra value go to the band/promotors not the scalpers?

Administrator
    FWIW, I can definitely confirm that Live Nation and Ticketmaster generally act as the bad guy so that artists can essentially get more money for their tickets while looking like they aren't. All the things they mentioned in that article, the platinum tickets, VIP stuff, resale, etc are all requested by the artist. On the other hand, they also have programs that some artists use to make it more likely that their fans get first crack at tickets for a reasonable price, I know Taylor Swift and Garth Brooks both do that.

TM collects a set amount per ticket in fees, while the vast majority of the fee you end up paying actually goes directly to the artist and venue. It's akin to a buffet charging a mandatory 18% tip - it makes the initial cost look lower, but all the money goes to the same place in the end.

Junior Potato
    Most bands have fan club allocations for good seats at normal pleb seat pricing. I know that Pearl Jam does; I took advantage of Ten Club pricing for seats in the 8th row back in 2008. That was fucking sweet!

Shows generally also have absolute front row seating for a premium price and to give away in promotions. It all gets paid for in the complex web of marketing and cross promotion sponsorship setups we have these days.

Administrator
    When Michele worked at Ticketmaster, those "give away in promotion" seats were great. They're both held for things like radio station giveaways but a lot of the time big corporate sponsors of the arenas also reserve a ton of them for giving out to clients and such. They rarely use all of them, so they'll go on the market just before the show, and that often meant we could get last minute great seats for face value. Still had to pay for them and everything, but sometimes we got some really nice seats.

Speaking of fan clubs, was a little irritating that to buy tickets to the final Slayer show, I had to pay an extra $30 on top of the fees to join the Slayer Fan Club. It was a requirement to buy the tickets. Meh.