Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast

Thread: C7 Corvette Updates/Info

The plan is probably fluid -- I'd be shocked if it came out that Mama Barra was locked down on a plan for the C7/Lola/whatevs at this point.

The "Corvette MR/4WD" whatever it's going to be called has been known to have been benched-marked against the 911... Turbo?

Here are some stats to keep in people's mind:

2017 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Power: 607 hp @ 6750 rpm
    Torque: 553 lb-ft @ 2250 rpm

Zero to 60 mph: 2.6 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 6.1 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 10.6 sec
    Top speed: 205 mph

2017 Ferrari 488GTB
    Power: 661 hp @ 8000 rpm
    Torque: 561 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm

Zero to 60 mph: 3.0 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 6.4 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 10.6 sec
    Top speed: 205 mph

I get that the high level Camaros can partially fill in the void that a FR Vette would leave, but will the base C8/MR model start under $100k?

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...orvette-coming

Although the C7 Stingray and its evolutionary descendants will surely live on for several more years, the mid-engine C8 will soon arrive to give Corvette customers a second choice. Painted with drops of leaked information from a GM Deep Throat, our rendering of the forthcoming C8 is no mere guess. In Ferrari style, the mid-mounted V-8 will be proudly visible under the rear hatch. Expect the genuine article to break cover at the Detroit auto show in January 2019.

GAME PLAN

This is the mid-engine Corvette that GM lacked the courage to build for decades. It will first appear as a two-seat hatchback, with open editions to follow. Mounting the engine behind the cockpit facilitates lower seating and a notably sleeker hoodline. A lower center of gravity, improved forward visibility, and better air penetration are all attributable to the new architecture.

ENGINES

Fear not, pushrod V-8 fans, your pet engine is secure. We expect the mid-engine Vette to bow with a successor to today’s 6.2-liter LT1 pumped up to 600 horsepower with higher compression, more aggressive valve timing, and less restrictive exhaust. Dry-sump lubrication will facilitate mounting the engine low in the chassis. Other propulsion sources will follow, topping out at 1000-plus hybrid horsepower, with a twin-turbo V-8 driving the rear wheels and an electric motor powering the front wheels.

TRANSAXLE

True friends of the stick will pout over the loss of a clutch pedal and H-pattern shifter. Rather, a state-of-the-art paddle-shifted seven-speed dual-clutch automatic supplied by Tremec will be the way and the truth.

Following its debut at the 2019 Detroit show, the eighth-gen Corvette will roll into dealerships later in the year with a base price of $70,000.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I'm not interested in that. Looks like a angular NSX. Yall have fun.

The details will be different I'm sure. Those renders appear to use carryover C7 styling details front and rear.

ZERV, the plate says. Surely a play on the CERV series, but why the Z?

Zora?

600hp, $70k, approximately 38 less air vents ...
    No surprise the stick shift will be gone. I guess the future will just have low-power, low-cost, global passenger cars available with a third pedal.

New halo car above the Vette.

Hopefully there's a raw ICE only option, as well as a hybrid option with electric motors, ala NSX. The sports car and car world in general are going full electric. GM would be smart to embrace that now, use this as a demonstration of their prowess, and expand the range at the bottom. Would love to a fully electric car with good range and good charging rates that doesn't look like a dumpy hatchback or a hybrid. Like the Tesla Model S.

GM's all-new 4.2-liter, 550HP Twin Turbo V-8 will be a Cadillac exclusive for about 5 minutes. Expect to see it in a ultra high-end version of the next-gen Escalade and, you will see it as a 5.5-liter in the mid-engine C8 Corvette. GM didn't spend the kind of cash necessary to develop this engine for what will amount to be less than 2,000 CT6 V-Sport sedans a year, do you? (If that.)
    https://twitter.com/PeterMDeLorenzo/...42516408410114

So if it makes 550 hp at 4.2 liters, then a 5.5 could reasonably expect to make something like 700 hp. That'd be a good Z06/ZR1 engine, but not base. I don't know why Autoextremist aka DeLorenzo doesn't project this 4.2/550 version in the car. Maybe the base car will stick with the current engine architecture.

I don't want to consider the possibility that there will no longer be a "base" model that starts near the Cayman in price.