Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: C7 Corvette Updates/Info

Thought this was interesting. He ignores probably the most obvious thing in that with the new Corvette you get a factory warranty that goes for, what 3-5 years? And it can be serviced anywhere you can service a Malibu. Given your love of spreadsheets and analysis, Keith, I thought you'd find this interesting if you haven't seen it.

Given Rob's occupation and location I can understand why he thinks it might be acceptable to try and maintain a Ferrari as a DD, but it wouldn't fly in Wisconsin, Cincy, or Pittsburgh I assume.

This book was actually a pretty good read, one guy's year with the Ferrari he chose to try and DD. Documented the upkeep and actual costs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077QWUBC/

Would a $60k Ferrari still hold its value if you put real miles on it, or does this require you to put less than 5k a year on it?

It makes for an interesting video that takes little to no effort or production value, I'll give him that.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yeah, I thought his analysis was poor but now it has me thinking I can afford a Ferrari, so, fun!

There are several guys on f-life etc that did their Ferrari. One of the 355 owners does his own work too.

I aaked him about his thoughts on reselling the car, he said that when he can't afford to work on it, he would 'eat' the losses. Last I talked with him he had 85k miles on it.

355's are only gaining value now I think. Their floor was a couple years ago. I think a 360 or 430 with a manual will hold some value, but haven't hit their floor yet. But I think there are so many of them compared to earlier models, so who knows. I wouldn't waste my time with a used V8 Ferrari with an F1 gearbox though. Unless maybe it's the 355, since I think those are pretty rare?

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    One of the 355 owners does his own work too...Last I talked with him he had 85k miles on it.
    The 355 was in production from 1994 to 1999, so it's had 3900-5000 miles per year.

Any fun car in Pittsburgh for me is going to be a May-Oct car since sliding around mountains in low production MR/RR cars can't be advisable if I want to keep them long. For that reason I doubt I'd hang more than 6-8k a season on a car. Especially if I'm busing to work. Then I could realistically put less than 5k miles on both of my cars since we take hers on long trips.

My fun car would also be my warm month road trip car (until family prevents it) and DD, so it changes the numbers for me a lot. I can foresee doing over 5000 miles in just planned road trips every year (gotta give every GTXFer in a 6 hour radius a ride in exchange for a couple nights in a spare bedroom).

Yeah, I have those day dreams too, then I realize that I'll be living on the same income I have now but with a car payment taken out and realize that random jaunts to the Grand Canyon probably won't happen as often as I'd like.

I am already spending/saving about the same amount total, and all my trips will take advantage of 30 mpg on the highway and generous friends The real question is how often I'll be driving to Pittsburgh.