Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost my top!

Lost my top!

After 16 years of ownership, somebody had the nerve to steal my S2000 hardtop last night! Not sure why, perhaps it was due to the aluminum, hardtop paint began to peel already. My hood is aluminum too, but seems fine with its paint job... Anyway, whatever, it's stolen anyway. Somebody must really love that top I guess. Stole it right in front of my house after broken passenger side window. I suppose nowadays it's so easy to 'wrap' cars with different colors, messed up paint job is no big deal?

Nothing else in my car stolen nor damaged other than the broken passenger side window... so I'm sure it's another fellow S2000 owner who somehow just really wanted a factory top...

When I was in the dealership leasing the Clarity EV, a young asian salesmans approached me to see if I'm interested in selling my hardtop... or perhaps swap with him his carbon fiber top. I declined because his carbon fiber top cannot be easily installed onto my car... I wonder if he's the asshole who stole my top! Didn't realize my old hard top is in such hot demand?

Anyway, after cleaning up the window pieces and talking to police and insurance agent... I took my topless car out for a spin because I haven't driven it for a while...

I haven't removed the hard top for years I think. Probably since my daughter was born... probably more than 6 years ago!!! I actually haven't been driving the car that much since we leased the Clarity EV in order to save on gas money... I only drive it a bit every couple of weeks to make sure the thing still runs!

Anyway, dang it feels good to drive the S2k without the top!

Good thing they didn't steal my car I guess...

Bummer. Insurance?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Aw, man, that sucks!
    acket.

$500 deductible... I googled and found out factory hardtop costs around $2~3k!!! Plus the broken window... so I'm sure insurance will cover most of it.

Not sure if I want it replace it and risk having it stolen again though.

Maybe I also need to invest in a car cover..., at least that'll make it a little bit harder for them to steal it if I tie the car cover up real good?

Need a 3 car garage!!!

Or maybe just hide my replacement hardtop in the garage...

I was going to say, the hardtop is worth a pretty coin. I'm surprised that's all they took. The seats are worth some money on the street too.

Okay, I'm gonna store my new hardtop in the garage along with the passenger seat. Just in case my driver seat is stolen, I'll have a spare...

Wife doesn't like riding in the S2000 anyway. She only pretended to like it when we're dating...

My daughter is surprisingly very interested in riding in the S2000..., but not until she's older or perhaps I get to deactivate the passenger side airbag...

Bunch of assholes. Breaking carbro code.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Wonder if it's worth scoping out the area where that guy works, to see if he has his S2000 parked there and whether it starts sporting a new hardtop one day? Or keep an eye on social media buy sell pages, as over here that's where stolen stuff is sometimes found (and probably usually sold).

But anyway, that really sucks. I will admit i'm not a fan at all of hardtops on convertibles that predominantly use soft tops (MX-5/Miata, S2000, Boxster etc) because to me it just looks strange. I'm too used to seeing the soft tops.

Junior Potato
    It’ll be douchebags from out of town looking to score some Craigslist fodder and make a buck. If you find it advertised let the cops know.

In a similar vein, I parked my bicycle in a city council bike shed one night in April. The thieves got right past my lock, stole the wheels, then were nice enough to lock the frame back to the rack it was parked against. The lock still works perfectly. It’ll cost me over $500 to replace the wheels, so I haven’t done it yet.

If you buy a car cover, it’s just one more very minor barrier between the thieves and your goods. You’re better off parking it in a locked garage.

I talked to Honda, they don't have serial # on hard tops, so it'll be very hard to trace where my top went... even if I found MY hard top on Craigslist somewhere, it'll be hard to prove it's really mine.

Oh well. The Lord gave it to me, the Lord takes away... blessed be the name of the Lord. Just hope that thief crash and burn or somehow learn his lesson soon.

Like I said, just glad that I still have THE car!!! The hardtop rattles and flexes and made a lot of wind noises anyway!

Just curious how insurance will be able to compensate me with... its super hard to find another factory hardtop... market value for a used one could cost as much as $4k!!! It's be nice is they pay me cash for my loss...

Will take the car in for estimate tomorrow.