Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: C7 Corvette Updates/Info

The last few gears are all overdrives for fuel economy and EPA ratings. Even the Chrysler 8 speed does that.

Interesting. I figured one, maybe two would be plenty.

When I was driving my dads C7 last weekend, I found that 7 gear was useless. In Eco mode, you actually get better mileage in 6th/V4 mode at highway speeds (up to 80 at least I saw). It can hardly even stay in V4 mode around 70 In 7th. If you're in a V8 only mode, 7th was a little better at those speeds, but again if you really want to save gas, put it in Eco and use 4 cylinders in 6th gear.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; December 3rd, 2014 at 08:41 PM.

There is probably a specific time where everything is useful. With all the controls on modern drivetrains you really have the option of accounting for every possible scenario. Hammering on that rental Corolla last weekend I observed all sorts of seemingly pointless combinations of engine+transmission that I'm sure exist electronically for just one specific scenario - eg, cruising through Kansas at 75mph with a slight tailwind vs. cruising through Nebraska at 75mph with a slight headwind. (The Corolla could do 85mph at 2000rpm on a flat surface, which I found stunning for a 1.8l)

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    There is probably a specific time where everything is useful. With all the controls on modern drivetrains you really have the option of accounting for every possible scenario. Hammering on that rental Corolla last weekend I observed all sorts of seemingly pointless combinations of engine+transmission that I'm sure exist electronically for just one specific scenario - eg, cruising through Kansas at 75mph with a slight tailwind vs. cruising through Nebraska at 75mph with a slight headwind. (The Corolla could do 85mph at 2000rpm on a flat surface, which I found stunning for a 1.8l)
    Turbodiesels do that whilst still giving you a massive torque punch when you put your foot down, even the 2.0L ones.

2 runs on baseline then 2 with tune + slightly smaller pulley + modified AFE cold air intake.

Last edited by LHutton; December 7th, 2014 at 06:46 AM.

Has anyone been listening to this stuff about heat soak and the ECU pulling timing on the Z06?

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...tup-89790.html

Now that the 2016 Corvette Z06 has hit the streets, sucking our air through its blower, a few owners have complained about experiencing a power loss after back to back runs on the highway or multiple laps on the track. They rushed to point the heat soak finger at the LT4 motor in the Z06, but this doesn’t seem to be the culprit here.

Sure, as the Z06 uses a top-mounted charging hardware, you could expect it to be prone to heat soak issues. When this issue usually appears, after a few consecutive full throttle runs, the heat builds up in the engine compartment, resulting in the a temperature increase for the air charge. This dramatically reduces supercharging efficiency as hot air has reduced oxygen molecule density, allowing for less fuel to be burned.

Moreover, hot intake air charge also increases the risk of detonation. The computer measures the intake air temperature both before and after the charge and when the latter is too high, it starts pulling timing to protect the engine.

However, like we said, this isn’t an issue with the LT4 supercharged V8 in the 2015 Z06, or at least that’s what the tuning scene is reporting.

Aftermarket world explains this is all a conservative ECU setup

Car and Driver results

505hp c6 z06 0-150mph 17.5 seconds
    650hp c7 z06 0-150mph 17.8 seconds

???

Pulling power? Track/WX Conditions? Gearing (maybe they used the 8AT with what I think is longer gearing)? One extra shift if manual? Roll-out vs. no roll out? Maybe they used launch control, which I think I heard actually sucks on the Vette? Certainly seems off.

I'd love to see the splits in that test, or better a graph, like R&T does with acceleration.

Where did you find that number? The only listing for 0-150 I could find was 14.4, listed here: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca...e_7-speed.html , though I don't really trust that too much. Is the 0-100 really 6.5?
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; December 12th, 2014 at 07:31 AM.

http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/corvette-z06

Car & Driver test that has 0-100 at 6.8 seconds, and 0-160 at 22.9 seconds.

They also have a test sheet for a manual car that the tester felt was underperforming: http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...z06-manual.pdf

Keep in mind, though, that the new Z06, especially in stage 3 trim, has much more aerodynamic downforce than the C6 Z06 and could therefore be much less slippery at high speeds.

Edit: those automobile-catalog times are just estimations based on their simulation software: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/simulation.php
    Last edited by Kchrpm; December 12th, 2014 at 11:14 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I was thinking aero could be it, maybe too.