Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: C7 Corvette Updates/Info

vs

Dat spoiler.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I really wonder if they could have done a better job aesthetically with the spoiler. I know it would have meant more molds or whatever, but having it be more integrated with the body would be a huge improvement. It looks too tacked on (though purposeful).

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post

Where did you find that number?
    Posted on another forum. The aero is probably a big factor but there are some heat/ECU-related issues too. At the moment they don't really know whether is true heat soak from the smaller 1.7L blower or just that the ECU is overly conservative and pulls too much timing when IAT rises significantly.
    Last edited by LHutton; December 13th, 2014 at 12:45 AM.

Chevrolet has come out and said it's the ECU being extremely conservative (for warranty and emissions reasons), and they fully expect the aftermarket to tweak it for the customers that want to track their cars.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-c...power-when-hot
    Last edited by Kchrpm; December 13th, 2014 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Chevrolet has come out and said it's the ECU being extremely conservative (for warranty and emissions reasons), and they fully expect the aftermarket to tweak it for the customers that want to track their cars.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-c...power-when-hot
    A lot of people are extremely disappointed by that answer and don't really understand why the ECU needs to be so conservative unless there's a real heat issue. There's also a major problem with having to void your warranty to use the car's stated factory hp consistently.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-2...234536392.html

First 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 Engine Destroyed With Just 891 Miles On The Clock

One of the car magazines blew the engine in the Stingray they had for a long term test, too. It was deemed to have been caused by a bad oil filter, I believe, wonder if this is similar. Hopefully these kinds of things are incredibly rare, I'm assuming this new small block will see heavy use at General Motors.

Failures that early in the life of an engine, I would think would typically be a manufacturing defect, rather than a design flaw. I doubt it will be anything to worry about.

Moving The C7 From Great To Genius

Those that caught my writeup of the Stingray's new eight-speed automatic transmission this summer won't be surprised to read it, but the gem of the track day for me was a Z07-pack car with the autobox. No shit.

Here's the formula: select Track for drive mode, Race for traction management, and then slot the automatic's lever in straight D and ignore the shift paddles on the steering wheel. All of my fastest times turned that day were all with the configuration above. Thusly set, the Z06 does a kind of wonderful Nissan GT-R impression: shifting and gripping and going like a virtual racer straight from Forza, but with far more tactility and progressive handling up to the limit than I've ever felt behind the wheel of Godzilla.

From the very next paragraph:

The eight-speed isn't nearly so satisfying when shifting in manual mode, and, honestly, I still preferred the rev-matching seven-speed hand-shaker despite it being slower to use. If it were my Corvette to build, and even if I planned to track it regularly, I'd opt into the sweet manual with its easy clutch and clean, short throws.