Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 日本に留学する

Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    hey Mort are you staying or going?

I have to give my final word likely today, and I'm....well.
    For better or worse, I'm renewing for another year here. I haven't made much progress in paying off my debt yet and the money at this job is too good, so this year is gonna have to be the "buckle down and save everything" year. Also, hoping against hope I can maybe get my visa renewed for more than just one additional year if I stick with this contract, but I hear that's usually a no-go. Still, between visa renewal, job and apartment hunting AND paying off debt, I figured that was too much to do in one year and try to make a move to Tokyo. *sigh* Maybe next year...

Well, once I know where my lady is winding up (it'll be one of the major cities) I'm going to start networking, applying, etc. At least I've been planning for this for a while.

Keep me posted on where you end up, especially if you end up relocating around the Kanto area.

Well, had a meeting today, they want me to consider a different program. They think I wouldn't fit in well at Ritsumeikan because I'm big and tall and there is a lot of walking involved . instead they want to send me to the JCMU program in Hikone which is ran by Michigan State.

So with that mindset....walking is bad?

for them I guess? Honestly nothing like that would bother me, I was looking forward to adapting to what needed to be done. My biggest problem with the other program is that it's a Japanese Language focused program, and honestly, I'm fucking tired of classroom atmosphere of learning it. I'll have met my requirement for my major after this semester, I was wanting to get the fuck away from the class room at this point and learn through immersion for awhile and seeing if I even cared about the language.

I'd respond in that fashion then...prettied up y'know.

It's a bit of a Japanese thing, they do have stereotypes for gaijin and often can't imagine that we can adapt to an even slightly japanese way of life. I'm often asked if I can eat japanese food and then they express great surprise at the fact we can use chopsticks. Just stick with what you want to do and tell them you'll cope, I do agree that for what you want the original program is better so you should stick with that (I'm also a big fan of the immersion rather than classroom approach)

Unfortunately I don't really get much more say in the matter. The selection commitee will decide who goes where, and once they give their verdict it's either accept or stay home. Which if/when I stay home, means I get my S13 back on the road with the money I've been keeping for Japan.

Well, never hurts to politely ask for your preferred selection, but if you're willing to accept an alternative placement I'm guessing you'll find your experience over here well worth it, regardless of the classroom environment. Either way, here's hoping it works out for ya, man.