Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: 日本に留学する

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    As a reply to this guy, this person sums up my thoughts about it

Gman
    2015-10-24 at 12.51 am

I live in Tokyo 8 years and still spend 1-7 months a year here (am here now)

Maid cafe’s: Everyone goes once. Even Japanese people. No reason not to go for the experience. I suppose you won’t get a good experience unless you speak Japanese and go far off the beaten path.

Takeshita Dori: Is still the shit. Like WTF are you talking about? Every Japanese high school tourist from other parts of the country still go there. It’s still 90% Japanese if not more. It’s still an amazing spectacle in the same way say Venice Beach, CA is a spectacle. By all means Go!

Roppongi: Still has some of the best restaurants in Japan, especially if you’re looking for some variety. It’s also got several amazing museums. The Mori Museum, the Toyko National Art Center, 21 21 Design Site and one of the best international meetups, Pechakucha Night. Sure parts of it are skanky but that’s part of it’s charm.

Robot Restaurant: Been twice. Will go again. It’s fucking amazing. The same way a Vegas show is amazing. You can’t see something like the Robot Restaurant anywhere else in the world. It doesn’t matter that it’s the most gaudy ridiculous thing ever made. That’s exactly what makes it so awesome.

Omoide Yokochō: Is also great for shopping. Amazing hand crafted leather goods. Amazing Wagara Clothing for men. All the cool Japanese men shop there (where as maybe the pretty boys go to Men’s OIOI or Harajuku). A great place to by hats and bags too.
    IMO the author is another "better than thou" gaijin who sees everything through a cynical western lens, so he tries to tell them about "authentic" Japan, since he's too good for certain places where a few foreigners may show up (GASP!).

He probably also hates seeing any other gaijin invading his sacred territory that he "discovered" first. There's a lot of ex-pats in Japan like him.

I'd agree that Maid cafes's are completely naff, ovoid yokocho is just a tourist trap now and trying to save 2000 yen going up the metro building in shinjuku rather than the Mori building is dumb. Takeshita dori isn't what it used to be but it's not as bad as he made out, robot restaurant is worth a visit for a laugh. Tsukuji fish market sushi places, well, I'd actually say that the sushi you get there is worth the money (but not the wait) and the really 'why bother' thing is the tuna auctions. Walking around the inner market itself is really interesting but these days I believe they're (understandably) enforcing the 'no gaijin before 9:00am' rule which significantly diminishes the interest.

So he's a hipster-wannabe gaijin?

Meh, he's a pretty typical opinionated 'I know the real Japan and you're just a tourist' gaijin but he's mostly right. That said, I get his pain. Every time someone goes to Tokyo and asks for advice a whole bunch of people who have been there once pop up with appallingly bad advise and you do get to a point where you just can't be bothered correcting it any more.

Heh, I guess it's why I sort of wrote my Guide to Hong Kong. Speaking of which, maybe it's time for me to update it.

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    I'd agree that Maid cafes's are completely naff, ovoid yokocho is just a tourist trap now and trying to save 2000 yen going up the metro building in shinjuku rather than the Mori building is dumb. Takeshita dori isn't what it used to be but it's not as bad as he made out, robot restaurant is worth a visit for a laugh. Tsukuji fish market sushi places, well, I'd actually say that the sushi you get there is worth the money (but not the wait) and the really 'why bother' thing is the tuna auctions. Walking around the inner market itself is really interesting but these days I believe they're (understandably) enforcing the 'no gaijin before 9:00am' rule which significantly diminishes the interest.
    Apparently there's a couple decent maid cafes but it's not a genre I'm interested in at all, yeah. Takeshita-dori is still pretty fun and I still see young people there when I head over. Metro building is good because it stays open later than Mori Tower SkyTree is the real rip-off since all the cool buildings are way across the city from the tower.

But (without reading all of that guy's thoughts) my opinion is, with people who come to visit, I want to give them a taste both of the touristy spots and also the stuff locals will go to. Why? Because so many people can only really make it to Japan once, so you need to pack in everything to a however-long trip. So that means Robot Restaurant but also stuff that's personalized for whatever they actually like.

Besides, we all know the real Japan is hours outside of Tokyo anyways