Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3D Printing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Servos and the drive mechanisms like ball screws etc. are more expensive,
    Don't forget to check over sized ones.

With luck the other one is standard for something else.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I've already found the servos I want to use/test, just a matter of having the spare cash to buy it (and the related power supply) for testing.

Teknic Clearpath motors.

https://www.teknic.com/products/clea...servo-motors/?

They've already been used on other 3D printers built by a couple of people with the same board I'm planning to use

Fully integrated is the way.

They are a pair anyway, the drive and motor.

Junior Potato
    It's a 3D printed Hypercar so it goes here.

And it's beautiful.

I'm not 100% convinced that it will turn into an ongoing thing by the financiers (i.e. the rich guy who's obviously using it as a platform to gain interest and sell his technology) but...

...it's beautiful.

Very interesting. I remember seeing some similarly exterior shaped car years back but has space frame chassis... graphite tubes and 3D printed nodes connecting them. I wonder if the same company has further developed that thing?

Anyway, will keep an eye on it..., let's see if they can really translate this from paper... or computer to the actual road and track performance that they're aiming for. Designing and building their own power unit is kinda amazing too... makes me wonder if they're being way too ambitious?

Nevertheless, the prototype looks good. I would certainly buy it if I have extra $2 million in cash that I don't know what to do with.

Big News: A new 3D Printer company created by a lot of former DJI engineers (The drone company) just launched on Kickstarter and raised $4 million in just a couple of days.

Their printer design is a BIT similar to the first printer I designed and tried to do Kickstarter in 2018 but waaaay more advanced (They said they were considering a printer since 2014, I like to think they saw mine and took some inspiration) . They've sent out at least a dozen or so review units to people on youtube and basically everyone is saying that this is a massive game changer.

It has a TON of features that no other printer has....very fast, very accurate, 4 spools for multi-color/multi-materal, LIDAR scanning to ensure it is extruding properly and bed is level. Fully assembled, it's plug in and print.

Here's a very detailed video about it, if anyone's interested. The top version was $999 on KS, and will be $1,449 retail, but if everything works out with their backers, it will definitely be worth picking up. The only drawback I've heard of is that it is very loud.

EDIT: to add that I've been working on a large format belt printer for the past several months to possibly make a product out of it, but now it's like CRAP! all of these features are going to be insane to try to implement if I wanted to sell it at a price of this or higher.

Last edited by MR2 Fan; June 6th, 2022 at 05:51 PM.

Hmm..., very enticed, even at $1500!

Hmmm.

I might be looking at getting a 3D printer to help on test fitting some of the parts I make up in CAD. I have zero problem with used, but I want something that will actually work and that I don't need to futz around with too much.

This popped up local to me.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH

Ender 3's are like the Honda Civic of the 3D printer world...cheap, easy to mod and work on. The Pro might not have silent stepper drivers so it might be a bit noisy when printing.

The good news is there's TONS of videos on youtube about them. I don't think there's a lot of difference between the stock Ender 3 and the Pro (Noting that Creality seems to have introduced like a dozen different versions of that printer by now).

Regarding if it will "work and not futz around"...I'd say get a Sovol SV-06, much higher quality than the Ender 3 and has a lot of better features, including silent stepper drivers, better rails vs. V-slots, can print in more materials and IMO the most important, auto bed leveling:

https://amzn.to/3pgP8Dl

I don't have any experience using the Ender models but, as you may know they are really popular. If the guy had it powered on and just had it print a layer or two of a small part for a couple minutes I think you could probably be pretty confident it'll work fine. Others might have more experience with their printers though!

The printers at my last job had glass beds, my personal experience has been that they can be a little finicky to deal with. But there's a lot of knowledge out there on them, and if you mostly print one material you only really have to figure out a good process once. I did spend more time cleaning them between prints than I have to with the PEI coated spring steel bed that's on my Prusa I have at home.

I use PLA as kind of my standard printing material, if you're just doing test fitting you'll be good with PLA and no enclosure. If you want to make functional automotive stuff then you will probably want to print ABS/ASA, and at least in my experience you need an enclosure for that, to prevent the part from warping during the print.