Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3D Printing Thread

Until you can get a laser scanner and printer with enough resolution to replicate automotive parts (well, not things that need to be metal at least) for under $1k, I'll enjoy reading and watching this stuff from afar.

I've watched a couple of recent Jay Leno's Garage episodes on 3D scanning and printing real metal working parts, and it's awesome tech, but so far out of reach for DIY'ers that aren't multi-millionaires.

Those models you made look cool though. Like wood almost. Are the insides hollow to save media/time?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Until you can get a laser scanner and printer with enough resolution to replicate automotive parts (well, not things that need to be metal at least) for under $1k, I'll enjoy reading and watching this stuff from afar.

I've watched a couple of recent Jay Leno's Garage episodes on 3D scanning and printing real metal working parts, and it's awesome tech, but so far out of reach for DIY'ers that aren't multi-millionaires.

Those models you made look cool though. Like wood almost. Are the insides hollow to save media/time?
    Some scanners can get the basics down, then people can use CAD programs to clean up the models.

There are 3D printing services you can use to print in MANY kinds of materials, and they can even fix files you send to them in certain cases. Check out Shapeways.com.

Regarding the insides, on basic FDM (plastic) printers, yes, you can choose the infill percentage for that reason, less cost/time.

Sorry to post again, but this is interesting.

as I stated Ford has 3D models available and I read on some forum a comment that Ford emailed the person asking what they planned to use the model for, which seemed odd.

I went to the Ford website (3d.ford.com) for the model, tried to download, and it shows this message:

"FORD MOTOR COMPANY has specified allowed uses, including editorial and non-commercial use. Other uses may be allowed. Each requested use will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and approved or denied at Ford's sole discretion. Before purchases are available for download, there will be a period of typically one business day for approval to be determined - any rejected uses will automatically be processed as a return."

Seems like a lot of legal crap going on for this seemingly simple thing. I wonder what their "requirements" are.

Edit: Then again, if it's an .STL file, it could be shared (for free) very easily, to Kchrpm's point.

Some kind of limited solution would be needed (hate to say DRM style)
    Last edited by MR2 Fan; February 24th, 2017 at 01:48 PM.

https://3dlabprint.com/

3D printed RC planes. They sell the files for between 20 and 40 bucks and you get to print as many as you want. Not sure how or if they worry about the sharing of files though. I'd guess they handle it by not worrying about it because 3d printing isn't hugely widespread at this point.

My 1st try at 3D printed Jewelry for wife thru shapeways.com

image.jpg

It's just a stainless steel part for about $10. Sounds pretty cheap for a piece of jewelry, but if it's for some other application like a handle of somesort... I'm not sure if it'd be worth it...

BTW, I just did the cube part, not the ring nor the chain!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 24th, 2017 at 09:01 AM.

While this topic has been brought up again...I might as well let you guys know...

I have been forging....in secret....a master printer.....ONE 3D PRINTER TO RULE THEM ALL!!

I'm only half joking...been working on a concept for the past 6 months or so and it is nearly finished. I've brought on some co-founders for a company and plan to launch on Kickstarter around October hopefully.

This is VERY exciting as we are COMPLETELY changing the rules of what 3D Printers are doing in the consumer area right now.

I will post a new thread once it's ready for public/prime-time and I'm hoping to get all of your support, even if it's just a $1 donation on the first day of the Kickstarter campaign.

I will give you a few hints....multi-color/multi-material, fast, and...let's say 1,000+ reasons to buy it.

Will I be able to print out a diamond ring for my wife? If yes, you have my commitment for one US dollar!!!!

ring yes, diamond no...thats one thing we can't print yet but give it a few years

Hi everybody...back to this thread as things are happening. I'm not going to bring up my "ALERT" thread again, so I figured I'd post here since this is the general 3D printing thread.

Lots of good things are happening in the 3D printing world. When I attended the first festival last year, I saw an amazing 3D printer introduced from E3D, the company that makes the best hot ends in the business.

They introduced the toolchanger, and after another 1.5 years of perfecting it, they've started to release the production versions, however they are not selling them as complete printers. They're selling individual parts and pushing the community of 3D printing companies to offer their own 3D printers with this great technology and I plan to be one of the first to offer this option later this year.

This has MANY benefits as you can do multicolor and multimaterial without the drawbacks of other multicolor/material systems, since they're all separate, there's no purge tower needed, no temperature changes needed for different materials, less jam potential, etc....cutting print time by 3 to 4 times compared to those systems. You can also set up different tools like a camera, pick and place tool, among other things we'll see eventually developed.

E3D's full model costs around $3,500 for everything. I'm trying to sell a printer for about $1,000 less than that and should be ready by October when the next big 3D printing festival takes place.

Here's a video of their toolchanger in action:

Last edited by MR2 Fan; August 10th, 2019 at 09:10 AM.

It's been so long since there's been an update.....

So here's an update...

I'm within a few weeks of offering pre-orders for our toolchanger compatible printer. It took some more re-designs, but very close to launch. I have specs and things at venturi3d.com

This is very exciting because we're going to be offering a toolchanger with the size big enough for 6 tools...which no one else is offering right now. I mean honestly there's practically no other company offering toolchanging printers at all yet since it's all brand new.

While on this topic...I also recently started looking into Servo driven as an option. I found some industrial size 3D printers that are massive and very expensive, but their speeds are 4-5 times FASTER than the average consumer printer.

Servos and the drive mechanisms like ball screws etc. are more expensive, but after doing some research, I believe it's possible to offer a VERY fast, very reliable servo driven 3D printer for around $3-4K...just need to do some R&D after I make some sales on my other printer design. Again, no one else is offering a servo driven 3D printer the lower cost market yet. Many CNC machines already use servos and their setups are very similar to 3D printers already, the only real difference being the size of the Z axis

The advantage is that servo motors know exactly their position at all times vs. steppers and belts which are not as precise and can skip steps or get moved/bumped out of position easily.

Large servo/ball screw combos are also a lot less susceptible to heavier weight, vs light stepper/belt systems that can cause ringing artifacts on prints.