Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3D Printing Thread

Is that your printer, tsg? Looks pretty fancy...

I'm currently designing something, but I think I'm just gonna have somebody else print it...

It's not really fancy. It's one of these:

http://us.xyzprinting.com/us_en/Prod...Vinci-1.1-Plus

TMI: I had "rewards" at Dell from other purchases, and Amazon randomly had that printer on sale for $450. I got Dell to price match Amazon. I would not have pulled the trigger had it not been "free." But I had nothing better to do with the value at Dell, so I took the plunge.

Like all hobby-grade printers it has some issues, but at the price point it's very capable and, after talking with a friend, a solid intro printer. Support from Simplify3D was important as I didn't want to be 100% reliant on the crappy bundled software. The printer seems to work quite well - the only tangible negative I've been able to ascribe to it is the use of proprietary filament cartridges, but that can be solved in a number of ways. Of course, for the amount of printing I will likely end up doing, it may never be a consideration anyway. Everything else - the odd calibration routine, dumb software, etc. are not worth worrying about. The fact it's fully enclosed is really nice, and I'm not mad at the wireless printing & built-in monitoring camera.

TBH, at $450 I feel it's a very good value. At the normal price of $650 there are probably better options, and it's close enough in price to superior options I would have spent more. $450? I'm totally satisfied. I'd do it again.

Cool.

Friend of mine has an earlier generation printer or something... so yours already looks pretty 'fancy'!

I've been playing around with Cubify 3D, but so far I haven't created anything decent that I actually want to print out yet! Hopefully I will be able to someday...

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Regarding which printers are the best...even though this isn't one advertised on my website, the Prusa i3 MK2 is apparently one of the best printers out there....extremely reliable, very inexpensive ($700 for the kit version) and high quality...with up to 4 materials in the same print as well (with a Beta add-on)

The only downside? It's about 8 weeks to get one because they're so popular.

I might go this route if I delve into unobtanium interior bits for 30 year old cars.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Regarding which printers are the best...even though this isn't one advertised on my website, the Prusa i3 MK2 is apparently one of the best printers out there....extremely reliable, very inexpensive ($700 for the kit version) and high quality...with up to 4 materials in the same print as well (with a Beta add-on)

The only downside? It's about 8 weeks to get one because they're so popular.
    That would have been my go-to had I not gotten this one. Given how many clones of the MkI came to be, I have little doubt Prusa makes a good product.

Maybe worth mentioning: The XYZ came assembled at $450, and that factored into my decision as well. I unboxed it, calibrated it, printed. Calibration was a BITCH, but I still had a print in my hands three hours after opening the box. Next go, I want a bigger print area (12x12) and multi-filament. I'm sure I'll be willing to build that one. Maybe in 2020 or so.

Make magazine just recently did a round-up/review of a bunch of the various 3D printers, at a vareity of price points, FWIW.

edit: they appear to like the Prusa i3, as well.
    Whoomah!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Ferrari's F1 car to use 3D printed piston heads?

http://www.3ders.org/articles/201702...ton-heads.html

tires printing on the fly
    Never thought of using 3D printing to change from hard slicks to wet-weather treads to soft slicks all within the same lap (theoretical)

Interesting. Unless there's a tire blowout, there's no longer a need for pit stops then!