Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3D Printing Thread

Yeah, but how big?

This lil' lift looks cool and impressive if it truly prints out fully assembled.

I funded Skelmet on Indiegogo - custom-3D printed sunglasses and custom lenses.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post

This lil' lift looks cool and impressive if it truly prints out fully assembled.
    Yes, it does:

That's pretty crazy - although I am tempted to try it, I have no idea what I would use the final product for!

I spent hours last night staring at the Jaguar's center HVAC vents, which have shitty little tabs to retain the wood trim. The tabs break, well, always, so I was trying to find a way to reinforce or replicate or improve them with the printer. Came up totally empty - there just isn't the clearance to really add anything... you either screw up the fit to the dash or you screw up the fit of the wood trim. Rather disappointed - I was sure I could come up with something until I really looked at it.

1.5mm thick ABS is not sufficient. Dumbasses.

I recall the mid '90s, when the first Doom editors came out and I started looking at real-life architectural details in a whole new one - Could I replicate that in Doomedit? How would it work? Now I find myself staring at little details and wondering how I could replicate them on a 3D printer... which is equally insane.

I still have that 2x25 digital amp I bought on Amazon, and was thinking about doing a print for it. I found this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2009946

which looks pretty great. I then remembered I have an old Beats "Pill" sitting in the closet I was going to take apart (motherboard died), and maybe I could re-use its speakers... remix that box into a totally self-contained little Bluetooth speaker. Seemed like a fun project. But then I realized I have zero use for a Bluetooth speaker. It's a completely stupid waste of resources.
    Last edited by thesameguy; February 22nd, 2017 at 11:26 AM.

My monoprice select mini is still working well, ONCE I get the bed level at least. That is a BIG problem if your bed is not level, your prints will not print right at all. There's a few more expensive printers with auto bed leveling or calibration it can do to make up for bed problems.

I tried to print an eiffel tower, re-sized it way down to fit my printer build area, and due to that, it failed...the supports were too narrow.

I was going to split it up and print the bottom part,then the top part separate, so I could make it bigger...bottom part estimated time, 20 hours

Anyway, I started to do some other testing with my printer, calibration cube to make sure it's all dimensionally correct, which it is.

I'm only printing at 40mm/s which is default. I plan to kick it up to 50 or 60 and see if that affects quality.

Some printers like deltas can go up to 300 mm/s! (SeeMeCNC's Rostock Max is capable of that), so that 20 hour print, could theoretically be printed in 1/5 of that time or more.

IN OTHER NEWS my 3d Printing website, http://www.utiliv.com NOW has a 3D Model Search Engine, powered by Google. It is currently searching around 15 sites that offer 3D models for printing
    Last edited by MR2 Fan; February 23rd, 2017 at 07:56 AM.

Something else I wanted to discuss for those interested,

How do I explain the challenge 3D printing for consumers to people?

I think it's like buying an Ipod, but you either have to make your own music, or only have access to indie artists and cover songs. You also may have to rebuild or replace parts on your Ipod every few weeks.

I am SERIOUSLY considering trying to break through this barrier...not with the hardware aspect as there's already over 1,000 3D printers on the market.

What I AM trying to break through is why large companies have not contributed much of anything related to 3D models yet. The only major exception I can find is Ford, who have both 3D models to download (for $4.99) or to order for printing if you don't own a 3D printer.

I feel like there is absolutely MASSIVE market potential for this since the consumer 3D printing market continues to expand and each printer iteration improves. Whether this is just some badges or logos to print, or actual functional parts is going to be up to each company. Naturally with the current state of 3D printers, we should probably avoid having models with vital physical functions, as they could break if not printed well.

The only drawback is the legal stuff that will need to be very thorough and I'm deciding how I can approach that.

Thoughts anyone??

I think they don't want to give people 3D models of their stuff because it can be modified and made ad nauseum without continued payments to them.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    I think they don't want to give people 3D models of their stuff because it can be modified and made ad nauseum without continued payments to them.
    Well it depends on what they offer. It could be just promotional materials, and any copies that get made are just more free advertising for them.

There are several possible use cases, letting people make their own replacement parts which would allow them to warehouse less parts on their own, etc.

Maybe have a model of a video game character for download before the game comes out, or promo for upcoming movie...there's a lot of possible things that could be done.

The other thing is, right now, there's TONS and TONS of models of basically intellectual property. Some of it has been cracked down on, but a lot of it hasn't.

Going back to my previous analogy, we're in the Napster era, and before the iTunes/similar services era.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Going back to my previous analogy, we're in the Napster era, and before the iTunes/similar services era.
    I agree completely. I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows. I think it would be kind of amazing if 25% of the developed world ends up having a microwave sized 3D printer at home.
    Get that weak shit off my track