Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Windows tablet computing omnibus thread (Surface, Venue, etc)

Hmmm... that's cutting it close. I WISH I COULD FIND ANOTHER VENUE PRO!

I made the call on a S3... the 4gb/128gb version. It was $350 in refurb form from microsoftstore.com - I went with it due to ongoing availability of the dock and the type cover... neither of which I purchased but might if they work out. Hopefully these guys do what I need them to... I will be interested to see how they compare speed-wise vs. the VP... maybe not in any sort of objective way, but at least as I'm using them.

Congrats! Should be alright.

In other words, I have ordered a Dell P4317.

That's a nice display - I installed a trio of them at a doctor's office to display MRIs, etc. for patients. What's crazy is that even at a grand, they're still cheaper than traditional "medical imaging displays" which might be 2-3x that... and for this application bring nothing to the party.

Yeah, right? Going to put my 2715 (or whatever model it is) in portrait mode and pass my 2407 to a colleague.

Also, at usd705 I just couldn't resist.

I am just getting one of the 3s finished up for a test. I had to upgrade to 10 Pro, and that introduced some problems... I think because the 10 Pro choked when trying to add features from a 10 Home restore partition. Pointing add/remove features to a flash drive source of 10 Pro got things moving, so it seems a possible explanation. "Just Windows 10" is tangibly slower on the Surface 3 than my Venue Pro, which is not much a surprise. It's not something that would get in anyone's way I don't think, but I can see how it might lead to slowdowns elsewhere. Not a problem here - I think the application I need to run is going to be absolutely fine.

After 15 months, my Surface Pro 2 Type Cover has failed. It still lights up, but the keys and track pad only work occasionally at best. Until a new one arrives, I'm being reminded of how much the included Touch Cover sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    For those of you that wish to read Comixology comics on your Surface/Win10 Tablets but don't want to use the shitty web interface... you can 'backup' your purchased comics to use in another app (I use Cover, fantastic imo) via a Chrome extension:

https://github.com/Cortys/comixology-backup
    Another gtxf mention of github.

So I've been looking at getting a tablet since I'll be traveling a lot, and want something mostly for entertainment, and some minor productivity.

I was originally thinking just a Samsung android tablet (new S4 maybe). Then I started looking at the Surface Go, then saw that the Surface Pro is on sale. The i5 128GB version with a platinum keyboard for $799. After buying a keyboard for the Go, it's only about $150 more for a lot more performance. I went to best buy to have a look, and actually like the slightly bigger form. I thought they were bigger, but it's just slightly smaller than my current (2009) laptop, so no issues with fitting in my current bags. Felt a bit heavy, but not cumbersome.

However, when I was there, I discovered the Samsung Galaxy Book 12", which is pretty similar. Found out there is a nearly identically spec'd model for only $50 more. Differences are the Samsung is a i5 7200U vs i5 7300U for the Surface, and the Galaxy has 256GB storage. Both have 8GB RAM and Win10 Pro, and come with a keyboard, though I think the Surface's is better. Samsung comes with a pen, Surface has the kickstand.

I love the AMOLED display, but I worry about longevity. Surface has slightly more resolution. Samsung has two USB-C, which is also how it charges. Surface has one old school style USB, and the surface dock thing.

Insights from any owners of either here?
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; August 6th, 2018 at 09:04 AM.

I don't own the Samsung. I do have 2 Ipad Pros and an Ipad Air 1. I sold all my old Nexus tablets. I still have a Surface Pro 3 which I use at home when I'm pottering around/mobile and can't/don't want to sit down in front of my desktop.

Admittedly the main reason I did so was because PDF viewing/annotation apps are smoothest, fastest, and the least clunky on iOS compared to on Android/Windows tablets. I know this, at least as of late 2013, because I bought all of them and tried to use them for a large trial in late 2013 (Drawboard for Windows is the closest one gets to Goodreader with tabbed views of the same document, or PDF Expert which has excellent file handling). With that said, while I'm sure the newer ones are better, and while it really pains me to say this, the ipad is still a great choice for entertainment due to the ios ecosystem, and I'd still go for that unless you really, REALLY need Windows or Android on your tablet, or a superior keyboard (which the Surface provides - but then just buy a notebook instead), or to sync tons of videos from home hard disk/home server all the time (but then just use Plex and install Plex for ios).